FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 October 17
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: Jana will not be able to join us today.
- Problem with the CSS - bullets fixed last week but lines in tables still don't show. Engineers are aware, but feedback never hurts.
News and Events
- October 18 The Secret Lives of Women: Research Female Ancestors.... by Gena Philibert-Ortega. UGA (Virtual) 7 p.m. Mountain
- October 19-20, 2013 ICAPGen Conference
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 3 Oct
Today: 1) Progress reports; 2) Church Records and Libraries tweaks; 3) Strategies: how to find birth information (US/Utah).
- Birth task: 1898-present segment:
- Neighboring counties clickable maps:
- History timelines: temporarily discontinued. Marty (not joining us today) will work on LDS timelines starting in Nov.
- Expect to finish task descriptions for these areas of the counties: Libraries, History, Church
From previous meetings:
- Get documentation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Pat
- Do the county newspaper pages - Wilma
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
If time permits after each area is covered, can revisit any of these topics.
Google and our wiki 10 minutes
US/Canada had a preso from an SEO (Search Engine Optimizer). Patsy will present while I display
- file location:c:\my default area\1uga\utah wiki\SEO Training.docx
Patsy: do we want to make a paragraph and tweak it for SEO. Please send Patsy your suggestions.
Church Records 15 minutes
After trying a different county (Box Elder), another challenge appeared:
1) Several counties will have a long list of LDS Communities. There are 32 in Box Elder County. Do we want the list (in paragraph form?) anyway?
1a) If yes, we can just give them the link to Jenson's and tell them to search it. We can also ask them for help and have a link to a task for linking to the timeline shell we have created.
1b) If no, what SHALL we do?
How to find Birth Information pages 15 minutes
How to Find Birth Information in the United States Adding strategies will be a milestone for the entire Wiki!
Found basic search strategies. Many all the same thing. Needed:
- How to find specific records, such as probate.
- How to find specific information, such as Maiden names, names of parents, exact place of birth,
Family records: search strategies for finding, consolidated. Link to the US page. Use it as the basis for the Utah page, where we can be more explicit.
This is really something that CAN make a big difference to the Wiki overall. The Thursday group expects to be part of the discussion and brainstorming.
Ideas we won't forget
- Tip Bank