FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 May 30
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
News and Events
- June 9 (Saturday) Murray Family History Fair Saturday, June 9th. Click on Classes.
- June 16 (Saturday) Mormon History Bus Tours of Echo Canyon and of East Canyon.
- June 21 Supercharge Your Research: Cut Ten Years off Your Learning Curve presented by Barry Ewell. This is the UGA Virtual Chapter meeting which occurs every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain).
- July 31-Aug 3 BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy
- August 18 (Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Cedar City
- September 21 and 22 (Friday and Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Sandy
- 1940 Census Help UGA's project with FamilySearch Indexing.
- Creation of Utah Wiki Project Forum (date to be announced- but soon Forums were changed yesterday -- there is a thread for Wiki Projects. There is a new subforum. Put up a page in the wiki and thread in forums.
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 23 May
- Tip icon template review: Steve dropped the table border.
- Newspapers: Wilma has not completed the county pages. Will review with Jana and Liz and report next week.
- Obituaries task description has been completed by Jana. (Learned how to do templates and much more.) Way to go, Jana! Liz and Wilma will test.
- Another person has expressed interest in helping. We will contact her and see what support she needs. Perhaps she can do the Obituaries task.
Topics that may need less discussion: Leader/assistants do examples, get suggestions and approval: Liz and Jana have volunteered to be assistants.
Future "quick" tasks (now that Obituaries are almost ready):
- Land and property
- Funeral home records
Vital records (BMD, Div)
- Continue discussion of charts vs. bullets: View some examples Wilma did in Word (for Pulaski County, KY. Why? Jana had a great example that gives many conversation points. Focus is NOT on that county, but on:
- Chart vs. bullet
- Types of resources (state or county only) (Linking to details and search tips?)
- Length whether bullet or chart (when to do a separate page)
Discussion minutes: None made during discussion
Summary of minutes:
- Bullet style was selected. Jana, Wilma, Liz will have something to review next week for 1) dates and 2) content under dates
- For a particular year, list resources for that topic (birth). If list other resources, such as for Death, do not list them. Link them instead to Death for that county.
- When listing non-birth resources, tell the user what birth information they may learn
- Link to state page rather than listing each one under each county.
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- Future focus for discussions:
- Church records
- Cemetery records
- Library area of each county
- Tip Bank