FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Mar 7
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
News and Events
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- Saturday, June 9th, a Family History Fair will be held in Murray. Sponsored by FamilySearch? Details will follow.
- July? Aug? BYU Family History
- Saturday, August 18th UGA Regional Conference in Cedar City. Sponsored by Cedar City Chapter, UGA
- Friday and Saturday, September 21 and 22, UGA Regional Conference, Larry H. Miller Campus of Salt Lake Community College
Review of last meeting
- Moving the table to the counties: Liz completed ALL counties. Suggested more uniformity in little details.(Kudos, Liz!)
- Project task written to update the charts and footnote Red Book.
- FamilySearch Library Catalog links completed this week: Morgan through Summit plus Utah County (Kyle Law did a bunch)
- Photo contest: What do you think? (ppt) and Photo info page
- To DO: 1) fill in UGA prizes; 2) wordsmith; 3) will FS offer a prize? 4) Won't we also want people submitting pictures of Library, Courthouse, other? Prizes for them, too?
- Tips icons: "Look and feel" Samples so far (word)
- See Excel spreadsheet. Ideas for gathering:
- On the tip bank page, have "to submit a tip for consideration, click here"
- attribution for tips: source if available? user if not? (No attribution on the pages where the tips are displayed.
- Process: from suggestion to template to posting on pages.
- Just for Utah? See what community thinks? when?
Tasks to write this week
- Newspapers: Only include Utah Digital Newspapers and LOC Chonicling America for each county?
- Obituaries: how to handle with Newspapers? Do in one task
Libraries Discussion, con't
- Where to start this week – Libraries in Utah and how much to link – or have a common page with all linking to the complete list of libraries and what one can find there
Discussion still in process
- Wiki Editorial Comment Page: Comments as to what you found at a certain location, library, museum, etc…. that will assist other researchers…..may be the most visited page on the Wiki. Please clarify this area of minutes
- List or not list small Local Libraries (collections or no collections) Decision: not list unless they did have something for history/family history. After meeting comment: Almost all little libraries will have something -- a history book, for example -- about the county. If we go deep into what each library has, the project will never get finished.
- Format page for gathering information re: libraries. Where do we cut off the project? Where will people get this format page once the project is done?
- Alternate Repositories talked about a little. Probably not needed for county libraries.
- On the county level – do we want neighboring libraries linked?
Summary of decisions to this point in the conversation
- Don’t want long lists of anything, including libraries, unless it’s a complied list on another page
- Link to Utah Archives and Libraries page from each county
- We will use a format for gathering information. Format not yet decided.
- Pages created to link to Libraries and museums – so they can be used over and over
- Pictures of Libraries would be helpful
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- To be determined by group
To discuss soon:
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records