FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Mar 28
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
Meeting Participants: Wilma Adkins, Darlene Hagberg, Jana Stokes, Lois Owen, Liz Snow, Patsy Hendrickson, James Tanner, Marilyn Markham, Maren Jeppsen, Joy Bogar
News and Events
- 1940 Census release, April 2, 2012
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain). 19 April topic: 1940 census with Tom McGill, FamilySearch
- Saturday, June 9th, a Family History Fair will be held in Murray. Sponsored by FamilySearch? Details will follow.
- BYU July 26-29, BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy
- Cedar City (August 18th) and Sandy (September 21 and 22) UGA Regional Conferences
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 21 Mar
Briefly scanned the minutes.
- Top charts on counties: Decided to keep vital records as stated: "1867- present"
- Daggett County to be checked - and the table may read: "for earlier dates check parent county"
- Photo info page Joy and I did a little, but no real progress since last week
- Wilma made significant progress with Icons for tips
- Decision to have a similar - but more colorful icon and indent tip information (see below links)
- Group liked the "Tips look and feel. Played with a couple"
- Newspapers paragraphs created and will be downsized
Tasks to finish writing this week
- We need a style guide, a format which works for most topics on a county page.
- Link to pages about each category of a repository. (Practiced with a little of this. See Newspapers2) Newpaper2 items listed in order of importance, bullets, explaintation
- Jana and Patsy to "wordsmith" - edit Newspaper1 (May create Newspaper4)
- Wilma "wordsmith" edit Newspaper2
- Marilyn "wordsmith" edit Newspaper3
- James - create a new page/article on "How to use "Chronicaling of America" How to access it and what is CA about....involves creating back links, explanittion, will need to use Multi-Media items and link LOC to CA
- Wilma and Liz - create tasks via email
Style Guide (is Darris Williams doing this guide?)
- County Pages - keep them to the point and link to explaination pages
- Style guide mentioned then explanitation linked and repeated on each county
- Bullet list easier to see for "five" or less items
- Heading better for "6" or more - however a using a separate page for more text is a huge commitment
- Suggested a "step" article
- Headings are important for descriptions
- Decision: No spaces between lines - keep text all together - may revisit this again
Did not discuss this week (28 March)
Libraries Discussion, con't
- Create a format page for gathering information about Utah libraries and their colletions: first focus - local (rural areas) libraries?
- What do we put in the "Libraries" area of each county: View Albany County, NY example
- List every possible library?
- List only those which may have a dedicated room or collection? (And let people work with them to fill in the form as they wish?)
Summary of decisions to this point in the conversation
- Don’t want long lists of anything, including libraries, unless it’s a compiled list on another page
- Link to Utah Archives and Libraries page from each county
- We will use a format for gathering information. Format not yet decided.
- Pages created to link to Libraries and museums – so they can be used over and over
- Pictures of Libraries would be helpful
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- To be determined by the group
To discuss soon:
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records