FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 July 11
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
News and Events
- July 19 Searching Ancestry presented by Sue Maxwell. UGA Virtual Chapter meeting which occurs every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain).
- July 31-Aug 3 BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy
- August 18 (Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Cedar City
- September 21 and 22 (Friday and Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Sandy
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 27 June
- On June 13th, a problem with the " " code showing up in headings after a "show preview." Pat may have discovered an insight.
- When we leave a page open in edit mode too long, the wiki editor has, in some cases, turned most of the page into very strange code. It is likely a bug, but let's avoid it by not staying in edit mode more than ___ minutes?
- Birth topic was updated per last meeting. Will review FIRST in order to complete discussion and begin writing the task.
- Probate, and Cemeteries are ready for review prior to writing tasks.
- History timeline update: Marty Simon (a missionary) is starting those updates Beaver County. She was given a pattern for citing internet sources for information added to the timeline.
- Neighboring county maps: What do you think? (Joy Bogar, a missionary, has been practicing and is starting in ernest.
- Also put a link to AniMap (Genealogy.inc) for each county none for Utah yet
- Utah page updated: The area previously called "Utah's Most Unique Genealogical Features" was renamed to "Major Online Resources", with resources and brief commentary added. Also the "Utah Featured Articles" area had been fouled up by the FCK editor somehow.
Vital records (BMD, Div)
The discussion today will focus on sources suggested. Areas of concern are:
- Not repeating state-level on county, but only linking them to state pages
- What sources will help the user most for this topic, whether it is state, county, or town level.
Birth in bulleted style Suggest resources, review for dates and content.
Comments recieved offline:
- Use the link to whet their appetite to go to the state pages.
- Don't be like the yellow pages, where you get to what you want and it says to look under another topic. It takes the same amount of space and time to just give them the link.
- should just put a one sentence blurb on each county page saying for search strategies, go to the Utah page and link them to that page
Summary of minutes:
Topics that may need less discussion: Leader/assistants do examples, get suggestions and approval:
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- Future focus for discussions:
- Church records
- Cemetery records
- Library area of each county
- Tip Bank