FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Feb 29
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
News and Events
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- South Davis Family History Fair, March 2nd and 3rd. Scoll to bottom of the page to register.
Review of last meeting
- Progress reports:
- Moving the table to the counties: Completed 15 to 20 counties, depending upon how much later she worked last night. (Kudos, Liz!)
- FamilySearch Library Catalog links completed this week: Kane through Morgan Counties. (Thanks, Lois and Kyle)
- Tips icons: Joy is playing with "look and feel" for the tips so they draw attention, but look very inviting and professional. The artist we have will be working on the icons.
- How shall we ask people for help in Providing landscapes (free of copyright) from the counties to be posted above the tables.
- Need community to provide panoramic landscape photos for each of Utah’s 29 counties
- Deadline March 31, 2012 for photos submitted to enter contest for “best photo”
- Photos that are chosen for each county will eligible to enter contest
- Photos may be submitted at any time after March to be placed in the “photo bank”
- After March 31, 2012 no mention of a contest will appear on any county page
- Photos may be uploaded from a memory card or flash drive. (But we will ask people to submit them, so we can choose the "winner" for each county.)
- Attribution will be give to the photographer in the copyright section of the image: Template:PD-Self People will click on the image to see the attribution.
- A temporary graphic (where the panoramic photo would go) will advertise for photo help with a link to all information they need to know including right of copyrights….
- To do Summary for this topic:
- Patsy and Wilma will clarify the prizes UGA will give.
- After meeting thoughts: Any prizes from FamilySearch? Shall we also ask Danielle about this?
- 2. Joy and Wilma will create the page describing rules, requirements, submission process, etc.
- 3. Joy will create the temporary table that will be placed at the top of each county in an appeal for photos. Everyone on today's call will be given a chance to modify it before we begin posting.
- Getting people involved in Correcting dates in the table for each county.
- Tasks to be created by Wilma for dates in the tables: Births Marriages Deaths Census Land Probate Church Obituaries - Cemeteries
- Dates will be obtained from the “RedBook” for this project. If someone uses another source, such as personally check collections in the county official's website or office, always add references.
- References / footnotes (task will teach volunteers how to)
- In another set of tasks, more detailed information (with footnotes) will be added under the “Land and Property,” "probate," and other headings for each county
- Cemeteries area needs to include the statewide burial database.
- Wilma will email “tasks” for volunteers in the weekly meeting reminder.
- James Tanner will put emails on his blog asking for volunteers: Blog @ firstname.lastname@example.org James’ blog has over 40,000 followers
- To Do summary for this topic:
- Wilma will create a task for going through RedBook for the dates in the chart, referencing it as the source.
- Utah Archives
- Main topic: Libraries and the information users need
- What do we NEED in the Wiki for each of the Utah Libraries, Archives, Museums, Societies that have collections useful for family history and Utah history?
- Do we need a format for gathering information about a library? (See ACPL, FHL, SLC Public)
- How extensively can they describe their own collections in the Wiki?
- Will users benefit if we link from topics in the county to catalogs other than the FHL?
- If so, how many catalogs will help users. Or might more confuse rather than help?
- What about libraries in that county? How specific, in-depth with their collections?
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- Focus to be decided by those at the meeting
To discuss soon:
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records