FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Feb 15
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Marilyn Markham, one of the project leaders, is still in rehab and improving quickly. She fell on that icy Sunday morning, 22 Jan.
Anyone new to this meeting?
- James Tanner, Lee Drew and Liz Snow for volunteering.
- All of you who are attending--both for the first time, and those who have been to other meetings
News and Events
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- South Davis Family History Fair, March 2nd and 3rd. Scoll to bottom of the page to register.
Review of last meeting
- Feb 1 minutes
- Finish discussion about top of county pages
- Finalize the catalog links area so a task can be created
- Colored labels for sections
- Provide context: example: a beginner selects "Birth" from the top table, then selects "Census" to see how censuses help with births.
- Brainstorm: What do we need to say in the census area, to help that person understand?
- Put a table or something visual
- Can they be told more visually than in words?
- Blown up little section of a census -- visually understand.
- Or as a separate page to show what is in different censuses
- Graphic off to the right, words to add to understanding
- "Example:" Horizontally, highlight the age and birth place highlighted
- Point to not just births in value of census
- If it is too long, do a More or Click here to a separate page
- Keep the main page clean, but tell me what else I can glean from the census (click to it)
- Don't load down the page, refer to other pages (keep it clean)
- Don't overwhelm, and don't overlink don't require them to link link link
- Describe the link to the deeper explanations for birth
- Have a list of what might be in diff censuses: be sure to read the headings of the census -- clues!
- Where were the parents born, etc. etc.
- Tip Bank:
- What do you think of the idea?
- Brainstorm tips and how they look
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Project to post the top table on each county
- Project to post FHL and ACPL catalog links to each appropriate topic in each county
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
To discuss soon:
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records