FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 December 19
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: James had surgery last Monday. He was STILL in the hospital a couple of days ago. I imagine it was a hard time.
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. Are we giving up hope?
News and Events
- Jan 17: What's New in FamilySearch Family Tree Don R Anderson. UGA Virtual Chapter.
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
Discussion Cemeteries area. Some suggestions to headings were recorded on in that area.
An overview of LDS Church Records tasks and progress was given.
- Jana has suggested putting COUNTY online badges on the county page in place of the state Online collections badge.
- Steps: Jana will prepare so others (Liz and I at least) can do it.
- Beginner's corner? Probably nothing until early next year that the "state pages" team meets.
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Thanks, Liz, for your ideas and hard work.
- Color, since we don't have table borders?
- LDS Church records
- Report to UGA re:Utah Wiki Project done by Patsy. Be sure to read your UGA newsletter.
- Project end: If we get volunteers, hoping they have something others can add before we quit.
- UGA members invited to attend and help
- Proposal: meet 1st of Jan, 1st of Feb, monthly if needed.
- Meet at least twice per month for awhile.
- Invite to special meetings
- Task to add timelines from Jensen's: Marty and Bo will focus on Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, St. George, Logan, Bountiful, Odgen to start.
- Beginner's corner:
- Joy and Jana talked about image approval. Joy will personally do those Jana contacts her about.
From previous meetings:
- Gallery of images: Joy and I talked about this. Need a process, so others can submit images of the various counties and we won't have to maintain it. (More discussion in Nov 21 meeting. Get with Joy about those suggestions.)
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records:
- James linked each of the articles back to the How to find Genealogy Records page.
- Points out huge gaps - such as early immigrants, etc. Showing mostly UK roots rather than other
- It is a great page to keep gathering articles, perhaps to organize sections not just rely on page names.
- As anyone writes an article, they should add it to the list.
- Suggest a topic for wiki articles
From previous meetings (no progress):
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in last meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, and others with large compilations..
- Maps follow-up: Marilyn will check with Jason Harrison and David Dilts for what they are doing. Results:
- Suggestion from last meeting not yet implemented: Newberry atlas of historical county boundaries.
- Oldmapsonline.org draw a square around the area; USGS.gov maps digitizing them
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
Minimum information for each topic:
- Per project leaders meeting (Oct 23) and group meeting (Oct 31)
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections Done by Jana early Nov.
"Boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
- Ideas per group meeting Oct 31
- UGA Patsy can get zips of UGA members and contact for their interest
- FHCs in area - do they know someone they can suggest?
- Libraries in area
- ULA - Pat can email everyone asking for help
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.