FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 December 12
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: James had surgery Monday. Hope you're doing well, James!
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. Are we giving up hope?
News and Events
- No UGA virtual chapter meeting in December
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
Discussion most about Cemeteries area. Liz took note of changes to make.
- Project to post all FS Historical Records Collections to the county pages. Kudos to Jana!
- Beginner's corner. Jana presented her page to the Thursday group.
- Tracking projects, etc. was discussed in Thursday group, as an outgrowth of our discussions.
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Thanks, Liz, for your ideas and hard work.
- Some discussion items re:Cemeteries
- LDS Church records Phase 1 is well underway. Kudos to Jeff and Cathy Stevens, Elizabeth Kesler, Garreth (Bo) and Joy Bogar.
- Finished task for Phase 1a -- doing the stakes. This was taught to missionaries Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.
- Need suggestions from this group:
- Task to add timelines from Jensen's: Marty and Bo will focus on Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, St. George, Logan, Bountiful, Odgen to start.
- Beginner's corner:
- Joy and Jana talked about image approval. Joy will personally do those Jana contacts her about.
- MurphyNW@familysearch.org -- he's a good one to contact about the beginners' corner. Shall I pave the way?
- Gallery of images: Joy and I talked about this. Need a process, so others can submit images of the various counties and we won't have to maintain it. (More discussion in Nov 21 meeting. Get with Joy about those suggestions.)
- Review citation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Pat did this several weeks ago, but we didn't view it. Thanks Pat!
- Pat needs a stillbirth from 1942-1960
From last meeting:
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records:
- James linked each of the articles back to the How to find Genealogy Records page.
- Points out huge gaps - such as early immigrants, etc. Showing mostly UK roots rather than other
- It is a great page to keep gathering articles, perhaps to organize sections not just rely on page names.
- As anyone writes an article, they should add it to the list.
- Suggest a topic for wiki articles
From previous meetings (no progress):
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in last meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, and others with large compilations..
- Maps follow-up: Marilyn will check with Jason Harrison and David Dilts for what they are doing. Results:
- Suggestion from last meeting not yet implemented: Newberry atlas of historical county boundaries.
- Oldmapsonline.org draw a square around the area; USGS.gov maps digitizing them
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
Minimum information for each topic:
- Per project leaders meeting (Oct 23) and group meeting (Oct 31)
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections Done by Jana early Nov.
"Boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
- Ideas per group meeting Oct 31
- UGA Patsy can get zips of UGA members and contact for their interest
- FHCs in area - do they know someone they can suggest?
- Libraries in area
- ULA - Pat can email everyone asking for help
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.