FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio Tasks - Vital Records Subheadings
WikiProject Ohio Wiki Project Ohio Tasks - Vital Records Subheadings
The purpose of this task is to find the genealogical and historical societies located in a county and list their contact information, website, collections and databases for family history research. This task is considered an easy task and may be completed in wiki text or rich text.
This task is an easy task and requires minimal knowledge about or experience with writing in wikitext.
New to the wiki?
- See Help to request individual mentoring or to join community discussions.
- See Editing Help – Online Video Demonstration.
- See Editing Articles – Online Class.
- Call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830 in North America for live help.
- M–F 8–5, except Thurs 11–5 (All times Mountain Time)
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. Add information to the county page by editing in wikitext. Read the general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
Online Birth Indexes and Records Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records Original Death Records on Microfilm
Wikitext Editing Instructions
1. Click on your chosen county name in the [[Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
2. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password.
3. Scroll to the heading Repositories.
4. Scroll to the section Societies within Repositories.
5. If there already is society information posted under the heading, do not remove the links, but you may reorganize or post any additional information you may find. If you move any linked information, to avoid breaking any links, be sure to move all text in while in wikitext.
6. Be consistent in the format you use to present the information.
7. Open the Societies heading for editing by clicking on the check mark in square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
8. Click on the word wikitext with in toolbox at the top of the edit box.
9. Scroll to where you want to insert the information.
10.To add a county society:
For each county society you find, add the following:
- Name of the society <br>
- a. Adding the <br> between the entries, moves the information to a new line.
- b. If the society has a website, add the link to the name of the society as follows:
- i. On the website page, hover the cursor over the web address. Right click your mouse. This will highlight the address and an edit box will appear.
- ii. Left click on COPY.
- iii. Return to the FamilySearch Wiki county page, at the point where you want to add the linked
- iv. In wikitext type [(Web Address) (Society Name)]
- v. Replace the words Web Address and parenthesis with the copied web address.
- vi. Replace the words Society Name and parenthesis with the society name.
- vii. The link is now complete.
- c. To bold the name of the society:
If there is no website link, bold the name of the society.
- i. Place three ''' before and after the society name to bold it.
- ii. The society name is now bolded.
- d. To link the e-mail address:
- i. After the word E-mail: type [mailto:(e-mail address) (e-mail address)]
- ii. Paste the e-mail address in twice,replacing the words e-mail address.
- iii. Remove the parenthesis and place a space between the two entries.
- iv. The link is now complete.
9. Add one or two sentences that discuss the strengths and peculiarities of the databases or collections of the society. Be sure to include information regarding a periodical or newsletter for the society.
11. You may also wish to include the following:
- Rules for using the collection
- Copy policies
- Research help
- Cost of entrance
12. If you copy a link and add it to the county page, make sure the link works. Do not add any broken links.
13. Please cite at least one source for each item you add. See Mahoning County for examples. See also
Mahoning County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
PO Box 9333
Youngstown, Ohio 44513-9333
The society has volunteers at the courthouse each Thursday 8am to 3pm; located in the Marriage Dept in the basement. Society members also volunteer at the Main Library Thursdays 1–4.
Genealogical collections: The MVHS Archival Library. Original probate and civil court records 1846–1900 for Mahoning County. Collection includes diaries, Bibles, photographs, fraktur, manuscripts, deeds, wills, maps, architectural and mechanical drawings, ledgers, county and local government records, and church records.
Complete Section Example
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding societies".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for societies."
- Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!