FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio Tasks-Ancestry Vital Records Part A
WikiProject Ohio Wiki Project Ohio Tasks - Ancestry Vital Records
The purpose of this task is to locate pertinent vital record databases on Ancestry.com and add the information and links to the Ohio County pages on the FamilySearch Wiki.
New to the wiki?
- See Help to request individual mentoring or to join community discussions.
- See Editing Help – Online Video Demonstration.
- See Editing Articles – Online Class.
- Call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830 in North America for live help.
- M–F 8–5, except Thurs 11–5 (All times Mountain Time)
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to open a separate "window" for these instructions so that you won't lose them while following each step.
To Open another window:
- Click on a tab at the top of the brower and then navigate back to the FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio.
Or you may wish to print the instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit. Only counties with vital records on Ancestry are included in the assignment chart.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
Instructions for Ancestry Vital Records Part A
Ancestry Records Which Apply to All Counties
1. You will be adding information to the county page by editing in wiki text. *If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
2. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
3. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password (https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page)
4. Scroll to the heading, Vital Records.
5. Copy and paste the following records into the appropriate sections.
- a. To copy, highlight the record by doing a left click and pulling the mouse so that the whole passage is in blue. Then, right click the mouse and when the box appears, click on the word copy.
- b. To paste, you will need to do one of the two following actions:
- If there are no other entries under the Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death headings:
- 1. Place your cursor so that it is under either the ==== Birth ===== , ===== Marriage =====, ==== Divorce ====, or ==== Death ==== sections
- 2. Stike the enter button on your computer to add a space after the heading.
- 3. Right click the mouse and when the menu box appears, click on the word paste.
- If there are other entries under the Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death headings you will follow the same copy and paste procedure above EXCEPT you will want to place your entry so that it fits in chronological order with the other entries.
6. Determine the headings where the following records should be placed then copy and paste.
- BIRTH records to copy and paste:
- :*'''1800-1962''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2541 Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- :*'''1908-1964''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3146 Ohio, Birth Index, 1908-1964] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- MARRIAGE records to copy and paste:
- :*'''1803-1900''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5194 Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- :*'''1898-1912''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=48348 Ohio Marriages] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- :*'''1970-2007''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2025 Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- DEATH records to copy and paste:
- :*'''1908-2007''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5763 Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($)
- DIVORCE records to copy and paster:
- :*'''1962-2007''' - [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2026 Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007] at [http://www.ancestry.com/ ancestry.com] ($) <br>
7. In the "Summary" box at the bottom of the page add the words, "Added Ancestry Vital Records" and then click the Save page button.
Instructions for Ancestry Vital Records Part B: Ancestry Records Which Apply Only to Specific Counties
1. You will now add ancestry.com entries into the FamilySearch Wiki. First, click at the following ancestry.com link to go to Ancestry.com
2. Once at the Ancestry.com website, look to the right of the webpage and click on the county you have chosen to work on. A list of all applicable databases for that county will appear.
3. Review the databases listed for that county to determine which ones may be added under the birth, marriage, death or divorce headings in the Vital Record section on the FamilySearch county wiki page.
4. If there are no records for your selected county, your task is done. Follow the instructions to report a completed task. If there are records, continue to task #5.
4. Open for the FamilySearch county wiki page once again and scroll to Vital Records. Click the edit box, which is the small box to the far right of the heading, Vital Records. Then click on the word, wikitext, which is in the top left corner of the edit box. This will bring you to the wiki text field.
5. You will now enter the databases found in ancestry into the FamilySearch county wiki page under the appropriate heading of birth, marriage, death or divorce. The format is:
- (a) Type a : (colon)
- (b) Type a * (star)
- (c) the years bolded if there are years indicated in the title.
- To bold the years, place three ''' before and after the years.
- Add a space, a dash and another space after the years
- (d) Add the ancestry.com entry with accompanying url link: [url(web address) of the collection SPACE title of the collection] The entire link and title must be enclosed by brackets [ ]
- Url (Web Address) of the collection: To get to the url or web address of the book, be sure you have clicked on the title of the collection, which will take you to a summary page. This is the page with the web address (url) that will go into the FamilySearch wiki.
- Begin by typing a bracket: [
- To add the url link, hover the cursor over the url or web address on the ancestry website page. This is at the top of the page in the web address box. Right click your mouse. This will highlight the address and an edit box will appear. Right click on COPY. Return to the wiki county page and after the [ right click and PASTE.
- Space It is important to but one space between the url and the title.
- Title of the collection: Author, Title in italics
- For the author,type the last name, comma, and then the first name. If there is the name of a society or a series of authors, type them as written. If there is not author indicated, begin the entry with the title.
- To make italics put two '' before and after the title. Be sure to capitalize the proper words in the title.
- End by typing another bracket: ]
- (e) Copy and paste the following phrase: at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($)
- (f) Add a brief description, if needed, such as "not complete," "index only," or "index and images," "transcription."
11. In the "Summary" box at the bottom of the page add the words, "Added Ancestry Vital Records" and then click the Save page button.
|To make the page look uniform, do not add a blank line between entries, but do make sure there is a line between a heading and an entry.|
EXAMPLE In Wiki Text
WITHOUT DATES IN TITLE
- [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=30074 Marriage Records, Hamilton County, Ohio] at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($); book transcription.
WITH DATES IN TITLE
- 1800–1850 [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=30181 Marriage Records of Clermont County, Ohio] at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($); book transcription
EXAMPLE – Finished Product
EXAMPLE of complete Vital Records Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Preble County for adding ancestry vital records".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Preble County for ancestry vital records."
- Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!
|County||Name/Date Task Accepted||Date Completed|