FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Ohio Tasks-Ancestry Vital Records Part A
WikiProject Ohio Wiki Project Ohio Tasks - Ancestry Vital Records
The purpose of this task is to locate pertinent vital record databases on Ancestry.com for the county.
New to the wiki?
- See Help to request individual mentoring or to join community discussions.
- See Editing Help – Online Video Demonstration.
- See Editing Articles – Online Class.
- Call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830 in North America for live help.
- M–F 8–5, except Thurs 11–5 (All times Mountain Time)
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
Specific Instructions for Ancestry Vital Records
1. You will be adding information to the county page by editing in wiki text. *If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
2. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
3. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password (https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page)
4. Scroll to the heading, Vital Records.
5. Click at the following ancestry.com link to go to Ancestry.com
6. Once at the Ancestry.com webiste, look to the right of the webpage and click on the county you have chosen to work on. A list of all applicable databases for that county will appear.
7. Review the databases listed for that county to determine which ones may be added under the birth, marriage, death or divorce headings in the Vital Record section on the FamilySearch county wiki page.
8. Go back to the window you have open for the FamilySearch county wiki page and click the edit box, which is to the right of the heading, Vital Records. Then click on the word, wikitext, which will bring you to the wiki text field.
9. You will now enter the databases found in ancestry into the FamilySearch county wiki page under the appropriate heading of birth, marriage, death or divorce. The format is:
- (a) : (colon)
- (b) * (star)
- (c) the years bolded if there are years indicated in the title.
- Use the N-dash between dates and anytime used in wiki text. The N–dash is made by holding the alt key and typing 0150.
- To bold the years, place three before and after the years.
- (d) the link to the web page: [url of the collection SPACE title of the collection]
- To add a link, hover the cursor over the web address on the ancestry website page. Right click your mouse. This will highlight the address and an edit box will appear. Right click on COPY. Return to the wiki county page and after the [ right click and PASTE.
- (e) Copy and paste the following phrase: at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com]
- Be sure to use www.ancestry.com and not www.ancestryinstitution.com
- (f) ($)
- (g) a brief description, if needed, such as "not complete," "index only," or "index and images," "transcription."
EXAMPLE In Wiki Text
WITHOUT DATES IN TITLE
- [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=30074 Marriage Records, Hamilton County, Ohio] at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($); book transcription.
WITH DATES IN TITLE
- 1800–1850 [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=30181 Marriage Records of Clermont County, Ohio] at [http://www.ancestry.com Ancestry.com] ($); book transcription
EXAMPLE – Finished Product
EXAMPLE of complete Vital Records Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding ancestry vital records".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for ancestry vital records."
- Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!