FamilySearch Wiki:The Purpose of Site Moderation
Moderation builds the right atmosphere.Community sites grow as they cultivate an atmosphere of cooperation, brotherhood, and community, and as the community builds a strong feeling that contributors’ work is appreciated.
Moderators direct the improvement of content. Active communities shepherd the creation of quality content. Moderators serve several such functions:
- Review, delete, edit or showcase content
- Promote the creation of content as per customer needs
- Vet and approve the creation of new content types
- Disambiguate content titles to improve search results (“Mercury” is a planet, element, auto brand, record label, and Roman God.)
Moderators drive improvements in behavior.
- Vet, approve, interpret, and clarify policies.
- Solve disputes regarding content creation and site management.
- Educate users in appropriate community behavior.
- Grant or suspend roles and user privileges.
- Govern the site in languages that FCHD doesn’t cover.
Moderators grow the community. They promote the site to potential users and recruit other moderators as the site grows.