FamilySearch Wiki:FamilySearch Research Wiki
What is the FamilySearch Research Wiki?[edit | edit source]
The FamilySearch Research Wiki is a free, online genealogical guide created and maintained by FamilySearch, a non-profit organization. It contains links to genealogy databases, websites, other resources, research strategies, and genealogical guidance to assist in the search for your ancestors. Articles included are locality pages for countries around the world and topic pages that include pertinent genealogy record types explaining how to use the record, what it contains, and how to find it. MediaWiki software is used to house this information.
Purpose of the FamilySearch Research Wiki[edit | edit source]
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sponsors the FamilySearch Research Wiki. The Research Wiki is a private resource offered as a public service.
It was created to:
- Promote the activities of collecting, compiling, maintaining genealogical research for the use and benefit of everyone
- Offer educational resources by sharing information about genealogical methodology and records
- Assist in fulfilling the genealogical responsibilities of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Complete List of Purpose, Policies, and Procedures of the Research Wiki
Search Places and Topics, Not People[edit | edit source]
The Wiki does not contain specific individuals but instead lists genealogical resources that may list an individual. When searching the Research Wiki, search for the place your ancestor was born, lived, and died. If your ancestor, Robert Palmer Jones was born in Sussex, England, type in Sussex in the search field. The Sussex, England page will contain links to online databases and have Sussex topic pages regarding genealogical records pertaining to Sussex.
Searching the Wiki[edit | edit source]
- Browse the Wiki by country - List of all Country pages in the Wiki
- Browse the Wiki by content - Categories listing Wiki pages
Additional Research Help[edit | edit source]
Contributing to the Wiki[edit | edit source]
Contributors Expectations[edit | edit source]
Final determination about the appropriateness of contributed content rests with FamilySearch.
How to Contribute to the Wiki[edit | edit source]
- Request Editing Rights on the Wiki
- Submit Wiki Content
- Report a Problem
- Wiki Projects
- Contributing to the Wiki
- Adopt a Wiki Page
- Instructions on how to edit the Wiki
- Wiki Tools for Research
Guidelines for Adding Content to the Wiki[edit | edit source]
Notifications from the Wiki[edit | edit source]
Please note that you may receive email notifications from the FamilySearch Research Wiki concerning watched pages, messages left on your user talk page, and when your Wiki role changes. Use the instructions found on the Notifications Wiki page to change your notification preferences.