FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting Agenda 04 January 2011
Join the meeting, the ID is 7770
1 p.m. Utah time on Tuesdays
(If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist. Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.)
- 1 Agenda
Kudos go to ...
Jane Colmenares who, as a Community member, gave much time, encouragement, and ideas in the beginnings of the (talk digest or gathering place or whatever it may be called) concept.
1) The Wiki Contributors Corner forum is being tested for ways to to bring your discussions and ideas to decisions and put them into practice.
Resulting decisions will be recorded, likely in the Community Center and implemented on the Wiki.
Volunteers may be needed to "shepherd" specific threads or topics through the discuss - vote - implement process.
Current forum threads regarding discuss - vote - implement
- Community Center, Village Pump, or something else? 4 posts
- Forum Digest: a plan for reaching decisions, implementing ideas 13 posts
Be part of the solution! Review the posts, add comments, and make suggestions.
Forum threads about moderators and adopters
- Moderators - Sharing best practices 5 posts
- Relative stewardship of moderators and adopters 14 posts
- Replacing a moderator or adopter 4 posts
- Moderators and Adopters: level of activity 30 posts
- Identifying a page's adopter or moderator 5 posts
- Encouraging User Participation on Adopted Pages 14 posts
Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion.
Testing taking minutes
Will someone add bullet points for this meeting to the Discussion page? Let's capture the important points so they can be posted to appropriate threads in the Wiki Contributors Corner forum. That will give us one place to look to stay current.
- Particpants discussed a variety of options for capturing meeting notes and decided to try having participants take turns being responsible for taking notes.
Notice the announcements.
Discussion: What do you want from a weekly meeting? These ideas were discussed in the meeting. Further discussion will continue in the forum thread.
- Meetings for new contributors need to stay on a fairly basic level technically. Prior meetings became to technical and tended to discourage new or less-technical contributors.
- Need also to keep experienced contributors focused and energized.
- Users sharing new ways to do things, "how to" ideas, and examples of how other wikis have handled things is helpful.
- Five minutes at the beggining of each meeting to explain very basic information about how to communicate in the wiki, then move on to a specific topic.
- Would be good to have some from this meeting also attend technical meeting to ensure cross-pollination of ideas.
- Would be nice for this meeting to facilitate communication with Family History Centers and Family History Consultants on a regular basis.
Need for other meetings?
- Meeting for new "user-only" (will never contribute)
- Existing meeting for contributors on Thursdays
- "Newby" Meeting developed into on-line training?
Main topic: Moderators and their roles
- Review of the page FamilySearch Wiki:Moderator
- Review comments already in forum threads
- What do we need training on?
- How should the roles and expectations change?
- What forums threads are needed to make those changes happen?
Moderator rolls have changed. The document needs to change.
Few moderators have been formally trained. For example, do moderators realize that they have the ability to delete pages? Have they been trained, and do they understand the intricacies, of deleting pages? Another example, moderators must be able to be reached by e-mail. Some may have their "contact by e-mail" turned off, or may not realize that function is disabled.
Fran Jensen clarifies that moderators do NOT have the ability to delete pages.
Who should be deleting pages? Tier 3 handles that.
Look at Special Pages under Toolbox to see what userrights each kind of user role includes.
For next week: Does this time work for this meeting?
From you, the Community
From FamilySearch Staff