FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 28 June 2012
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:03, 28 June 2012 by Averyld (added agenda information)
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
- Charlene Pipkin joining us after an absence - FHL
Kudos go to ...
- Steve & Vickie Funk - Support team - Wiki Trainers
Updates and follow up
- Site announcement - Dismiss message is not there unless you're logged in with Firefox. It could be considered invasive. The Dismiss might be hidden under something.
- Newsletter to Consultants going out today with information about the Wiki - editing and enhancements team. Contact Lynda about enhancement. We will set up a Wiki page.
Moderators and Adopters
Style Guide Discussions
- This Agenda - start with "What are you working on?" at beginning. What do we need to discuss today?
Project Help Requests
- Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:
Improve the Wiki
- There is a list of FamilySearch Wiki:Etiquette Guidelines which has been adopted pretty much "as is" from Wikipedia. Do this article need reviewing with a "Research Wiki" perspective?
- What prompts this question is an issue that has been brought to my attention this week (see User talk:Cottrells#Contributions_Changed). One contributor feels that a second contributor has came along adding content without any consideration of how the page had been developed previously. For example the most recent edit to the article Athelington, Suffolk added a parish description from A Topographical Dictionary of England, but removed the content from that section that had already been added. This is just one example of many.
- I'm not saying that once something has been added it can never be removed. I'm in favour of changing content and not just adding, but removing significant sections of text should be discussed or at least explained in the article talk pages.
- We must find a better way of helping/guiding contributors to work together and not at cross purposes. --Steve 16:46, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- How do we encourage people to use the Talk pages for discussion and interaction? Could there be more communication between editors on an article?Contact Darris - to check on this contributor. (Apparently, he's a Researcher, not an employee). It would be good to have someone talk to him about his replacements, etc. in many pages. Make sure he knows about working together on the Wiki. Conversations put on a blank User page do not send an email the first time. They will be sent for the second posting.We believe the person doing the replacements is in the FHL and may have received instructions for adding to the pages. Perhaps the instructions were not clear.Rorie will call Barbara Baker (supervisor) on Monday to see if the FHL missionary could have some instructions about removing material and communicating with other contributors. She could also be encouraged to add to her User page and watch it.Best process to use when editing a page:Copyright Issues: Policies will be written and will be added to the WikiImages, census forms, copied and pasted information, under more restrictive CC Additional license templates (Steve) need to be developed and separate out text and imagesInformation from FHL is free to be used on Wiki. Copyright notices are being removed. Material should be attributed.Creative Commons tag is there.
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Comments added since last week
Decisions made since last week