Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births, marriages, and deaths.
Characteristics of This Project
- This project includes records of births, marriages, and deaths.
- Records are on cards.
- Each image usually has one side of a card.
- There are up to 20 images per batch, and a batch may include all three record types.
Description of the Records
- Records were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- There are many different styles of preprinted cards. Search each card carefully to find the information for the various fields to be indexed.
- The front of each card generally has most of the information to be indexed, and all information for that record is to be indexed with that image.
- The back of a card may have information about the town and state where the event was registered. View the previous or next image to see this information, but index it with the image of the front of the card.
- Index the back of cards as No Extractable Data Image.
- See the Basic Indexing Help for information to make your indexing easier and more accurate, along with helpful, short, how-to videos.
Project Specific Indexing Instructions[edit | edit source]
Front of cards:
- The following links are examples of the some of the different types of documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Death Record
- All information for each record is to be indexed with the image of the front of the card.
- The locations of information for indexing fields vary greatly with the different forms. Search carefully for the information for each field.
Back of cards:
- Back of card 1
- Back of card 2
- The backs of cards usually contain information about where the events were recorded.
- The backs usually appear as the previous or next image to the front of the cards.
- The backs of cards like the example, Back of card 1, usually appear before the front of the card. Scroll through the entire batch to get a better idea of whether the backs appear before or after the front of each record.
- Index the location information with the image of the front of the cards.
- Index the image of the back of a card as: No Extractable Data Image.
Number of Records per Image
The data entry area is set at one record per image. If you encounter images with more than one record, you will need to add additional entry lines to match the actual number of records on your image. To do add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image...
- In the box next to Number of Records, type the actual number of records on the image
- Click OK.
- Because of the many different forms found in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
Using the Ruler
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler, follow these steps:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting help on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this help, on the toolbar just above the data entry area, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).