FamilySearch Indexing: US, Oklahoma—Land Allotment Records of the Five Civilized Tribes, Overview
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 03:16, 14 January 2012 by PearsonGB (Protected "FamilySearch Indexing: US, Oklahoma—Land Allotment Records of the Five Civilized Tribes, Overview" ([edit=sysop] (indefinite) [move=sysop] (indefinite)))
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics of This Project
- Index every name on the image, except the names of the chairman, the commissioner, the roll clerk, the notary, the stenographer, etc.
- When you encounter images with more than one name, you will need to add additional entry lines to match the actual number of names on your image. To do this see the Project-Specific Indexing Instructions.
- When multiple images relate to the same individual(s), index each image separately as its own record. Do not mark the successive images as duplicates or no extractable data images simply because they mention the same individuals as the image before.
- There are up to 10 images per batch.
Description of the Records
- Most of the records were handwritten with no set format.
- There can be different, individual documents, that relate to the same individual(s). These documents may be filed on separate, successive images. In these cases each image is to be indexed as a separate record even though they may relate to the same individual(s).
- Project-specific indexing instructions: For this project.
- Basic indexing guidelines: For all projects.
- Field-by-field helps: A list of all field helps.
- Project updates: Current information, questions and answers about this project; updated as needed.
- There are no restrictions associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.