Ewell County, Arizona Genealogy
, elected first and second delegate to congress, but not admitted,
In 1860, (Sylvester) Mowry got out a map of this Arizona, dividing it into four counties, not however, attaching to them the names by which they are now designated. On the west, what is now known as Yuma County, was called Castle Dome; Pima County was called Ewell County, and extended east to the western base of the Chiricahua range of mountains at Apache Pass. Messill County extended eastward to the Rio Grand, and Dona Ana County extended eastward to the line of Texas.<ref>Thomas Edwin Farish, History of Arizona (Phoenix, Ariz., 1915) , 324.</ref>
The remainder north of 33 degrees 45' was left to New Mexico and savages.
- Original county, named Ewell County, organized 8 November 1864.
- Renamed Pah-Ute County 1865.
- Renamed again, to Mohave County
- For the records, see Mohave County
- History of Arizona, Thomas Edwin Farish; pub. San Francisco, 1915