Essex County, New Jersey Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Essex County Government Complex
465 Martin Luther King Blvd, Rm #247
PO Box 690 Newark, NJ
Essex County Hall of Records
465 Martin Luther King Blvd, Rm #405
Newark, NJ 07102
"The Record Room is the repository for copies of all legal documents which have been recorded within the County since its creation in 1637. The public has access rights to these documents and are permitted to make searches.
The records are available for public inspection between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. By law, staff cannot conduct a title search, although upon request, the staff will familiarize the public with the indexing method and demonstrate how to use the books."
- 1675, part of East Jersey
- History of Essex County as stated on official Essex County, New Jersey government site
Created 1 March 1683 from the Colonial Lands. 
- 1710, New Barbadoes twp. to Bergen County
- 1741, part to Somerset County.
- 1822, water boundry defined
- 1837, part to Passaic County.
- 1857, part to Union County.
- 1871, Union County boundary clarified
- 1876, some changes with Union boundary
- 1882, Union County boundary further clarified
- 1891, Part of Millburn twp. to to Union County's Springfield twp
- 1892, more minor changes with Union boundary
- 1907, parts of Acquackanonk & Little Falls twps. of Passaic County to Montclair
- 1958, some of Springfield twp., Union County to here.
Places / Localities
- Boroughs: Caldwell . Essex Fells . Glen Ridge . North Caldwell . Roseland
- Cities: East Orange . Newark
- Townships: Belleville . Bloomfield . Cedar Grove . City of Orange . Fairfield . Irvington . Livingston . Maplewood . Millburn . Montclair . Nutley . South Orange Village . Verona . West Caldwell . West Orange
- Communities: Broadway . Downtown Newark . Fairmount . Forest Hill . Ironbound . Llewellyn Park . Roseville . Seventh Avenue . Short Hills . Springfield/Belmont . University Heights . Upper Montclair . Vailsburg . Weequahic
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- East Orange
Gazetteers of Places/Localities
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Essex County (over 1180 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
- Clerk of the Superior Court
- Records Information Center
- P.O. Box 967
- Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
- Telephone: 609-292-4978
- Fax: 609-777-0094
- Internet: http://www.answers.com/topic/new-jersey-superior-court
Vital Records Office (revised as of 21 July 2005) (giving locations for birth certificates and phone numbers)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Essex County
- The Essex County NJGenWeb Project, an member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].