Essex County, New Jersey Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Essex County Government Complex
465 Martin Luther King Blvd, Rm #247
PO Box 690 Newark, NJ
Essex County Hall of Records
465 Martin Luther King Blvd, Rm #405
Newark, NJ 07102
"The Record Room is the repository for copies of all legal documents which have been recorded within the County since its creation in 1637. The public has access rights to these documents and are permitted to make searches.
The records are available for public inspection between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. By law, staff cannot conduct a title search, although upon request, the staff will familiarize the public with the indexing method and demonstrate how to use the books."
- 1675, part of East Jersey
- History of Essex County as stated on official Essex County, New Jersey government site
Created 1 March 1683 from the Colonial Lands
- 1710, New Barbadoes twp. to Bergen County
- 1741, part to Somerset County
- 1822, water boundry defined
- 1837, part to Passaic County
- 1857, part to Union County
- 1871, Union boundary clarified
- 1876, some changes with Union boundary
- 1882, Union County County boundary further clarified
- 1891, Part of Millburn twp. to to Union County Springfield twp
- 1892, more minor changes with Union boundary
- 1907, parts of Acquackanonk & Little Falls twps. of Passaic County to Montclair
- 1958, some Springfield twp., Union County to here.
Places / Localities
- Boroughs: Caldwell . Essex Fells . Glen Ridge . North Caldwell . Roseland
- Cities: East Orange . Newark
- Townships: Belleville . Bloomfield . Cedar Grove . City of Orange . Fairfield . Irvington . Livingston . Maplewood . Millburn . Montclair . Nutley . South Orange Village . Verona . West Caldwell . West Orange
- Communities: Broadway . Downtown Newark . Fairmount . Forest Hill . Ironbound . Llewellyn Park . Roseville . Seventh Avenue . Short Hills . Springfield/Belmont . University Heights . Upper Montclair . Vailsburg . Weequahic
Gazetteers of Places/Localities
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Essex County (over 1180 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Vital Records Office (revised as of 21 July 2005) (giving locations for birth certificates and phone numbers)
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Essex County
- The Essex County NJGenWeb Project, an member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.