Erath County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Erath County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Erath County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 25, 1856|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Local Histories
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Erath County Courthouse
100 W Washington Street
Stephenville, TX 76401
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1869 probate records from
1876 and land records from 1867
Permanent settlers arrived in Stephenville in 1854.
1866--Courthouse and most of the county records were destroyed by fire in the summer of 1866.
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Erath County Cemeteries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County Cemetery Photographs ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County Cemetery List from the Erath County TXGenWeb site
- Erath County Cemeteries, transcriptions and photographs of each headstone for: Beth Haven, Cow Creek, Lowell, Lower School Hill, Round Grove, School Hill, and Victor Cemeteries and Old Dublin Memorial Park.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- 1856-1857 Tax Rolls ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census, partial ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census -Prect 2 Page 115-Davies ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census - Prect 1 Pages 1A-21B ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County Churches ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
- Erath County Court Records ~ TXGenWeb
Local histories are available for Erath County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Biographies of Erath County Residents ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Erath County Map ~ TXGenWeb
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- CSA Indigent Families ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- CSA Pension List ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Erath County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- 1856-1857 Tax Rolls ~ TXGenWeb
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Dublin Public Library
206 W Blackjack St
Dublin, TX 76446
Phone: (254) 445-4141
Stephenville Public Library
174 N Columbia St
Stephenville, TX 76401
Phone: (254) 918-1240
Family History Centers
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Erath County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Erath County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Erath County, Texas. Page 663 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).