A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. In England periodicals are called journals. Journals are published by societies created for the study of family history, local history, or one surname. Articles in journals often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Suggestions for research procedures.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Researcher’s queries or requests for information about their ancestors.
A few of the countrywide journals are:
- Family History. 1962–. Published by the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Northgate, Canterbury, Kent CT1 1BA, England. (FHL book 942 B2f.) This journal includes informative articles on heraldry, genealogy, and family history, and contains notices of books for sale and courses offered by the Institute.
- Family History News and Digest. 1975–. Published by the Federation of Family History Societies, c/o Benson Room, Birmingham & Midland Institute, Margaret Street, B3 3BS Birmingham, England. (FHL book 942 B2ff.) This publication reports on the activities of its member societies. Articles published in the member society journals are summarized. A list of publications is included, offering low-priced, well-written booklets on various English records.
- Family Tree Magazine. 1984–. Published by Michael Armstrong, 15/16 Highlode Industrial Este, Stocking Fen Road, Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE17 1RB, England. (FHL book 942 D25f.) Features of this journal include informative articles, book reviews, advertisements, a question and answer column, and much more.
- The Genealogists’ Magazine. 1925–. Published by the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, London EC1M 7BA, England. (FHL book 942 B2gm.) This journal features scholarly articles about records, book reviews, and information concerning the genealogical world. All of Each issue is indexed.
Many major libraries have the following book:
- Ulrich’s International Periodicals Directory. New York, New York: Bowker, 1932–. (FHL book 016.05 Ul7p.) This book gives the subscription address and name for many journals.
Journals are available from the societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections have copies of many journals, especially those of the area they serve.
The Family History Library subscribes to most journals published by these societies. If you know the title, look in the Author/Title Search of the Family History Library Catalog. If you do not know the title, look in the Place Search under ENGLAND or ENGLAND, [COUNTY] and one of the following subjects:
SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
HISTORY - PERIODICALS