England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Lancashire|
|Location of Lancashire, England|
|Record Type||Cemetery Registers|
|Oldham Council - Hollinworth Cemetery Office|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains records from the city of Oldham for the years 1797-2004. The records come from multiple cemeteries, including Hollinwood, Failsworth, Royton, Crompton, Chadderton, Lees, and Greenacres.
Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot. The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
Now incorporated into the Greater Manchester metropolis, Oldham is a fairly recent English city. Prior to the period of this collection, it was a somewhat unimportant site, but it rose to prominence during the nineteenth century as a major industrial center. For a list of parishes historically belonging to this city, see the Oldham Parishes page.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- Approximate date of death
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Cemetery Name
- Select Record Type, Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Save or print a copy of the image if possible
- If an age is given, estimate a birth year to search for a birth record
- Search for a civil death record
- If a spouse or other family member is identified, look for the family in prior censuses
- Based on his age and date of burial, you may be able to estimate a marriage date and look for marriage records
- Continue to search the index for people with the same surname to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names
- Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record
- It was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible matches
- Search the records of nearby locations
- Cumbria and North Yorkshire on the north
- West Yorkshire on the east
- Greater Manchester and Merseyside on the south
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Lancashire.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.