El Paso County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Seven courthouses have been the home of El Paso County Government. The first courthouse was built at San Elizario in 1850. When Ysleta became the county seat, a second courthouse was built, 1866. Two additional courthouses were built at Ysleta in 1871 and 1882. A three-story Second Empire style courthouse was built at El Paso in 1886; it was torn down in 1918. In 1917, a Classic Revival style courthouse was built; it was extensively remodeled in 1955, and then demolished in 1992. El Paso County's current courthouse, a glass and steel structure opened in 1991. 
El Paso County Courthouse
County Clerk's Office website
500 E. San Antonio, Suite 105
El Paso, Texas 79901
Fax (915) 546-2012 Main Office
Fax (915) 543-3806 Vital Records Department
El Paso County Government website
El Paso is presently its largest city. Across the Rio Grande is Chihuahua's largest city, Ciudad Juarez. Today it is a major international port of entry, and from its earliest days has been a significant customs and immigrations checkpoint between the United States and Mexico.
1850--El Paso County was created 3 January 1850 from Bexar Land District.
1912 - Culberson County created from eastern portion of El Paso County.
1917 - Hudspeth County created from eastern portion of El Paso County.
Anthony | Clint | El Paso | Fabens | Horizon City | Socorro | Vinton
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- El Paso
- El Paso Dist
- The City and county of El Paso, Texas : containing useful and reliable information concerning the future great metropolis of the Southwest ... 1886, El Paso Bureau of Information. Digital book online from archive.org.
- The Land Where We Live: El Paso del Norte, 1973, by Conrey Bryson.
- Pass of the North: Four Centuries on the Rio Grande, 2 vols., 1968, 1980, by Charles Leland Sonnichsen.
- El Paso: A Borderlands History, 1990, by W. H. Timmons.
- Souvenir of the city of El Paso, Texas. Photo-gravures. Digital book online at archive.org.
- San Elizario, 1973, by Eugene O. Porter.
- The El Paso Salt War, 1877, published in 1957 by Charles Leland Sonnichsen. Digital book on line at archive.org.
- Forty years at El Paso, 1858-1898; recollections of war, politics, adventure, events, narratives, sketches, etc., 1901by W. W. Mills Digital book online at The Portal to Texas History.
- El Paso County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- El Paso County 1881 from the Culberson County TXGenWeb site
- El Paso 1886 Panorama Map from the Amon Carter Museum.
- El Paso County 1900 from the Culberson County TXGenWeb site
- El Paso Quadrangle 1908 Shows contour lines, elevations, rivers, creeks, towns, cities, roads, buildings, schools, and railroads. Covers part of El Paso County.
- El Paso 1920 Automobile Blue Book Map from the Amon Carter Museum.
- El Paso - Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District, 1891-1939 from the Amon Carter Museum.
- El Paso County General Highway Map 1940
- El Paso General Highway Map 1940 shows detail of the City of El Paso and vicinity.
- El Paso County General Highway Map 1961
- Texas, West Portion Asher and Adams Map from the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Best Route for the Movements of Troops from San Antonio to El Paso, Texas 1865 from the A.R. Roessler Collection, Texas State Archives.
- Texas and Part of New Mexico 1856 from the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- El Paso Herald, selected issues on line 1910-1914 from the Portal to Texas History.
- 1860 Census - El Paso County: Census images online at archive.org, 1860 Census transcription from the El Paso County TXGenWeb site.
- 1870 Census - El Paso County: Census images online at archive.org. Census images online at the TXGenWeb site.
- 1880 Census - El Paso County: Census images online at the TXGenWeb site.
- El Paso County Death Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website.
- El Paso County Birth Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website.
- El Paso County Marriage Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- HistoricTexas.net: El Paso County http://www3.historictexas.net/el-paso-county-texas
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: El Paso County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hce05