El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to El Paso County, Colorado ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
El Paso County Courthouse
270 S. Tejon Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
El Paso County Website
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1861 and military discharge records from 1919;
Clerk District Court has divorce and probate records;
County Court has court records
El Paso County, Colorado Record DatesEdit
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Business, Commerce, and OccupationsEdit
In 1860, present-day Colorado was enumerated in the Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories. Colorado Territory was created in 1861 and was enumerated as such in the 1870 Census. A state census was taken in 1885 for Colorado. See links listed below.
State and Territory Census RecordsEdit
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado was included in the 1860 Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories Censuses
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado Territory Census
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch - Index and images
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at Ancestry - ($), Index and images
Federal Census RecordsEdit
- 1860-1940 Colorado Census Records from 1860 to 1940 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Online Church Records
- 1743-1970 - U.S., Presbyterian Records, 1743-1970 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Dates vary for each county
- 1937-1986 - U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Our Savior in Colorado Springs, 1937-1986
Numerous records are available at Colorado Archives. To use this link scroll down the page to where it asks for Record Type. Click there and scroll down the list to the records you want and select. The next field asks for county. Select the county you want and then click on Search. You can narrow the search by adding the additional information it asks for.
1933-1936 El Paso County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the official record of the applications granted by the El Paso County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
- 1897-1988 - U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 at Ancestry - ($), Index and images, Colorado Springs City Directory, various dates
- 1940 - Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek and Victor, Drennan, Fountain, Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls, Woodland Park, and Yoder, 1940 Telephone Directory - Residential listings only
Emigration and ImmigrationEdit
Ethnic, Political, and Religious GroupsEdit
Land and Property RecordsEdit
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Current El Paso County, Colorado, property owners may be searched by name or address at the El Paso County Assessor's website.
Online Land Records
- Colorado DPA Land Records - Index only; Choose Record Type, and search either "Land Patents" or "Land Records."
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1862-1908 - Denver Land Office Records, 1862-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index only
For more information see Colorado Land and Property
Online County Histories
- History of the Arkansas Valley, Colorado. (Includes History of El Paso County, by A. Z. Sheldon.) 1881. Chicago : O.L. Baskin & Co. Online at: Internet Archive; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and GazetteersEdit
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Colorado - shows boundary changes for Colorado Counties
- Colorado Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
- Colorado State Archives Veterans Grave Registration Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Military - Grave
- Colorado Civil War Casualties Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Civil War Casualty
- 1861-1865 - Colorado State Archives Volunteers Transcript of Record Index (1861-1865) at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Transcript of Record
Spanish-American War (1898)
- 1898 - Colorado Volunteers in the Spanish American War, 1898 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Span-Am War Soldiers
World War I
- 1916-1919 - Colorado State Archives Denver War Risk Insurance Applicants, 1916-1919 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, War Risk Insurance
- 1917-1922 - Colorado State Archives World War I Civilian Service Questionnaires, 1917-1922 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, WWI Questionnaire
- 1917-1918 - Colorado Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918 at Ancestry.com — ($), index
- 1966 & 1968 - Colorado State Archives Vietnam War Casualties - June-December 1966 & January-December 1968 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Vietnam Deaths
For further information see Colorado Military Records.
Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit
- 1868-1990 - Colorado, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1868-1990 at Ancestry ($); Index and images
- 1876-1990 - Colorado Naturalization Records, 1876-1990 at FamilySearch - Browseable images only; District Court records
For more information, see Colorado Newspapers.
Colorado Newspapers Online
- Colorado Online Historical Newspapers online - in the Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection by the Colorado State Library
- Colorado Newspapers at Ancestry.com - ($)
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Colorado newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
- Pikes Peak NewsFinder, provided by Pikes Peak Library District's Special Collections, contains citations to local news articles and obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD. Ongoing project with additional sources being indexed.
Colorado Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Pikes Peak NewsFinder contains citations to obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers, including the Colorado Springs Sun and the Free Press. Free copies of articles are available from PPLD.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
See also Colorado Vital Records.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
- 1784-2007 - Colorado, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1809-2011 - Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011 - Index, incomplete, list of counties included
- 1853-2006 - Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org - Index and images
- 1862-2006 - Colorado, County Marriages and State Indexes, 1862-2006 at Ancestry ($), Index and images
- 1864-1995 - Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch - Index and images
- 1900-1939 - Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com - ($); Browseable images of original index
- 1984-1991 El Paso County Official Public Records Search, 1 January 1984 to present (includes marriages for 1984 to 1991 period not covered in database below)
- 1991-Present El Paso County Marriage/Civil Union Records Search, 1 May 1991 to present
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
- 1851-1985 Colorado, Divorce Index, 1851-1985 at Ancestry - ($); Index only
- 1900-1939 - Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 at FamilySearch - Browseable images of original index
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only Index to the El Paso County Divorce Records for the period 1903 to 1941 on-line.
All divorces and divorce records are handled by the El Paso County Courts, Colorado Judicial District 4. Please contact their office directly at 719 452-5000.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
1880-1939 Divorce Index
1883-1900 Mine Accidents, Non - fatal
1936-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments
1966-1968 Vietnam Deaths
1880-1969 El Paso County Probates
1892-1942 El Paso County Placer Mine Location Certificates
1903-1941 El Paso County Divorce
1910, 1920 El Paso County School Census Dist.11 (Colo. Spgs.)
1911 El Paso County School Census Dist. 3
1933-1936 El Paso County Old Age Pension
1946-1961 El Paso County Civil District Court
Family History CentersEdit
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- Calhan Colorado Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado East Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado North Family History Center
- Fountain Colorado Family History Center (Colorado Springs)
Pikes Peak Regional Library. Special Collections contains extensive resources for research into the history of the Pikes Peak region, including books, maps, manuscripts and archives, photographs, oral histories, films, government documents, periodicals and much more.
Pikes Peak Library District
Penrose Library (main) & Special Collections (genealogy, local history)
20 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Telephone: (719) 531-6333
Tutt Library, Special Collections, Colorado College, Colorado Springs
9475 Briar Village Pt, Ste 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Telephone: (719) 260-6882
Cheyenne Mountain Library
1785 S 8th St, Ste 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Telephone: (719) 633-6278
5550 N Union Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Telephone: (719) 531-6333
230 S Main St
Fountain, CO 80817
Telephone: (719) 382-5347
High Prairie Library
7035 Old Meridian Rd
Peyton, CO 80831
3337 Cinema Pt
Colorado Springs, CO 80922
Unmanned location with a vending machine
Manitou Springs Library
701 Manitou Ave
Manitou Springs, CO 80829
Telephone: (719) 685-5206
1706 Lake Woodmoor Dr
Monument, CO 80132
Telephone: (719) 488-2370
Old Colorado City Library
2418 W Pikes Peak Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Telephone: (719) 634-1698
Palmer Lake Library
66 Lower Glenway
Palmer Lake, CO 80133
Telephone: (719) 481-2587
832 Village Center Dr
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
Telephone: (719) 593-8000
Ruth Holley Library
685 N Murray Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80915
Telephone: (719) 597-5377
Sand Creek Library
1821 S Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Telephone: (719) 597-7070
Ute Pass Library
Cascade, CO 80809
Telephone: (719) 684-9342
Security Public Library
715 Aspen Drive
Security, CO 80911
Telephone: (719) 391-3191
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum – “the only institution researching, collecting and interpreting the robust history of Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region.”
Manitou Springs Historical Society
Pikes Peak Genealogical Society
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Pikes Peak Genealogical Society
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, "El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy and History", http://genealogytrails.com/colo/elpaso/ 6/28/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "El Paso, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_County,_Colorado 6/28/2017.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), El Paso County, Colorado. Page 98 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), El Paso County, Colorado. Page 98 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 92.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "El Paso County, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_County,_Colorado, accessed 28 May 2017.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 51-54; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 86. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 54.
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov