Difference between revisions of "El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy"
|Line 152:||Line 152:|
==== Obituaries ====
==== Obituaries ====
[http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCollections/Index/article_search.asp Pikes Peak NewsFinder] contains citations to obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers, including the Colorado Springs ''Sun'' and the ''Free Press''. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD.<br>
[http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCollections/Index/article_search.asp Pikes Peak NewsFinder] contains citations to obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazetteand Gazette-Telegraphfrom January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers, including the Colorado Springs ''Sun'' and the ''Free Press''. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD.<br>
==== Periodicals ====
==== Periodicals ====
Revision as of 03:33, 21 August 2013
Guide to El Paso County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|El Paso County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|County Seat||Colorado Springs|
|Address|| El Paso County Courthouse|
]27 E. Vermijo Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2208
El Paso County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Historical Facts
- 3.1 County Seat
- 3.2 Parent County
- 3.3 Neighboring Counties
- 3.4 Record Loss
- 3.5 Resources
- 3.5.1 Bible Records
- 3.5.2 Biography
- 3.5.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 3.5.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5.5 Census
- 3.5.6 Church Records
- 3.5.7 Court Records
- 3.5.8 Directories
- 3.5.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.5.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.5.11 Gazetteers
- 3.5.12 Genealogy
- 3.5.13 History
- 3.5.14 Land and Property
- 3.5.15 Maps
- 3.5.16 Military
- 3.5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.5.18 Newspapers
- 3.5.19 Obituaries
- 3.5.20 Periodicals
- 3.5.21 Probate
- 3.5.22 Public Records
- 3.5.23 Repositories
- 3.5.24 Taxation
- 3.5.25 Vital Records
- 3.6 Places
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1861
and military discharge records from 1919; Clerk District
Court has divorce and probate records; County Court
has Court Records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Colorado Springs 
Business Records and Commerce
- Colorado Springs City Cemetery Page - Includes a burial search (requires registration)
- Evergreen Cemetery 1005 S. Hancock Avenue, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903
Office Hours: 8 a.m-5 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday 8 a.m. - Noon | Phone: (719) 578-6646 | Fax: (719) 578-6077
- Fairview Cemetery 1000 S. 26th Street, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80904
Office Hours: 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday by appointment | Phone: (719) 578-6638
Gate hours for visitation: Summer (Mid April through Mid October) 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. | Winter (Mid October through Mid April) 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The Shrine of Remembrance Mausoleum (BillionGraves) in Colorado Springs is a smaller cemetery, on Fountain Blvd along with two funeral homes.
- Tombstone Inscriptions of El Paso County, Colorado, is a publication completed in 2002 by members of the Pikes Peak Genealogical Society. It includes information on all known burial sites in the county, maps, sexton records where available, and inscriptions.
For tips on accessing El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Colorado Springs
- Records of Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Colorado Springs, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
El Paso County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the El Paso County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
- Colorado Springs City Directories, 1879-1922, OCR'd copies made by members of the Pikes Peak Genealogical Society and hosted by the Pikes Peak Library District website; all extant editions included except 1913 and 1918, which are currently being corrected. Many directories include surrounding towns, including Manitou and Colorado City.
- 1940 Telephone Directory, for Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek and Victor, Drennan, Fountain, Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls, Woodland Park, and Yoder. Residential listings only
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Pikes Peak NewsFinder, provided by Pikes Peak Library District's Special Collections, contains citations to local news articles and obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD. Ongoing project with additional sources being indexed.
Pikes Peak NewsFinder contains citations to obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers, including the Colorado Springs Sun and the Free Press. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Calhan Colorado Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado East Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado North Family History Center
- Fountain Colorado Family History Center (Colorado Springs)
- Pikes Peak Library District
20 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Telephone: (719) 531-6333
- Security Public Library
715 Aspen Drive
Security, CO 80911
Telephone: (719) 391-3191
- Old Colorado City Historical Society
1 South 24th Street
Colorado Springs.Colorado 80904
- Pikes Peak Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1262
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only Index to the El Paso County Divorce Records for the period 1903 to 1941 on-line.
- USGenWeb Archives
- Family History Library Catalog
- El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Pikes Peak Genealogical Society