Difference between revisions of "Edmonton St Adhelm, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
 +
 +
EDMONTON (All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Edmonton, county of Middlesex, 7 miles (N.) from London; containing 9027 inhabitants. This place, which had risen into some consideration prior to the Conquest, is in Domesday book called Ædelmeton, probably as having been the residence of some distinguished personage during the heptarchy. The extensive forest in the neighbourhood, of which Enfield Chace formed a part, made it the resort of many individuals, who occasionally retired hither to enjoy the diversion of hunting; and from its convenient distance from the metropolis, it became the residence of many opulent families. The village stands pleasantly on the high road to Hertford, along which it extends for more than a mile, containing, exclusively of small dwellings, several ranges of respectable houses, and, in detached situations, many elegant mansions and villas; it is well lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. The New River intersects several parts of the parish, producing a picturesque effect in the grounds and meadows through which it winds. A considerable coach manufactory affords employment to more than 60 persons; and an extensive trade in timber is carried on by means of the Lea river navigation, which passes within three-quarters of a mile of the village. A station on the Eastern Counties railway is also situated here. Fairs, chiefly for pleasure, are held on St. Giles and Ascension days, on a part of Enfield Chace, near Southgate, in the parish, under letters-patent of James I. The petty-sessions for the division are held at the Angel inn on alternate Fridays, and a court leet and court baron are held on the Tuesday in Whitsun-week: the powers of the county debt-court of Edmonton, established in 1847, extend over the sub-registration-districts of Edmonton, Enfield, and Tottenham.<br>The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18; net income, £1550; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1799. The church is a spacious ancient structure in the later English style, once of flint stone; in 1772 it was cased with brick, but it has a square embattled tower in its original state. At Southgate and Winchmore-Hill are separate incumbencies. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. A charity school for boys was founded in 1624, by Edward Latymer; a charity school for girls was established by subscription in 1778, and a national school in 1822. The poor law union of Edmonton comprises seven parishes or places, of which five are in Middlesex, and one in each of the counties of Essex and Hertford; and contains a population of 52,569. On Bush Hill, in the parish, are remains of a large circular encampment, supposed to have been the site of a British town, and near which Sir Hugh Myddelton had a residence. Bury Hall, the seat of President Bradshaw, retains many of its original features. Peter Fabell, a learned man of eccentric character, who flourished in the reign of Henry VII., and obtained the reputation of being a conjuror, is said to have been born in the parish, which became noted by the production of a drama, founded upon some of his alleged exploits, and called the "Merry Devil of Edmonton," first printed in 1608. The place also gave rise to a tragedy founded on the history of an unfortunate woman who was condemned and executed on a charge of witchcraft, in 1621; and it has been lastly celebrated as the scene of Cowper's popular ballad of John Gilpin, in allusion to which there is a painting in front of the Bell inn. Dr. Brook Taylor, secretary to the Royal Society, and author of an ingenious treatise on Perspective, was born here in 1685; and Archbishop Tillotson resided here constantly while Dean of St. Paul's, and occasionally after his translation to the primacy.
 +
 +
From:&nbsp;''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' (1848), pp. 147-150. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50941 Date accessed: 21 April 2010.
  
 
Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>
 
Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>

Revision as of 15:11, 21 April 2010

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes

Parish History

EDMONTON (All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Edmonton, county of Middlesex, 7 miles (N.) from London; containing 9027 inhabitants. This place, which had risen into some consideration prior to the Conquest, is in Domesday book called Ædelmeton, probably as having been the residence of some distinguished personage during the heptarchy. The extensive forest in the neighbourhood, of which Enfield Chace formed a part, made it the resort of many individuals, who occasionally retired hither to enjoy the diversion of hunting; and from its convenient distance from the metropolis, it became the residence of many opulent families. The village stands pleasantly on the high road to Hertford, along which it extends for more than a mile, containing, exclusively of small dwellings, several ranges of respectable houses, and, in detached situations, many elegant mansions and villas; it is well lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. The New River intersects several parts of the parish, producing a picturesque effect in the grounds and meadows through which it winds. A considerable coach manufactory affords employment to more than 60 persons; and an extensive trade in timber is carried on by means of the Lea river navigation, which passes within three-quarters of a mile of the village. A station on the Eastern Counties railway is also situated here. Fairs, chiefly for pleasure, are held on St. Giles and Ascension days, on a part of Enfield Chace, near Southgate, in the parish, under letters-patent of James I. The petty-sessions for the division are held at the Angel inn on alternate Fridays, and a court leet and court baron are held on the Tuesday in Whitsun-week: the powers of the county debt-court of Edmonton, established in 1847, extend over the sub-registration-districts of Edmonton, Enfield, and Tottenham.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18; net income, £1550; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1799. The church is a spacious ancient structure in the later English style, once of flint stone; in 1772 it was cased with brick, but it has a square embattled tower in its original state. At Southgate and Winchmore-Hill are separate incumbencies. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. A charity school for boys was founded in 1624, by Edward Latymer; a charity school for girls was established by subscription in 1778, and a national school in 1822. The poor law union of Edmonton comprises seven parishes or places, of which five are in Middlesex, and one in each of the counties of Essex and Hertford; and contains a population of 52,569. On Bush Hill, in the parish, are remains of a large circular encampment, supposed to have been the site of a British town, and near which Sir Hugh Myddelton had a residence. Bury Hall, the seat of President Bradshaw, retains many of its original features. Peter Fabell, a learned man of eccentric character, who flourished in the reign of Henry VII., and obtained the reputation of being a conjuror, is said to have been born in the parish, which became noted by the production of a drama, founded upon some of his alleged exploits, and called the "Merry Devil of Edmonton," first printed in 1608. The place also gave rise to a tragedy founded on the history of an unfortunate woman who was condemned and executed on a charge of witchcraft, in 1621; and it has been lastly celebrated as the scene of Cowper's popular ballad of John Gilpin, in allusion to which there is a painting in front of the Bell inn. Dr. Brook Taylor, secretary to the Royal Society, and author of an ingenious treatise on Perspective, was born here in 1685; and Archbishop Tillotson resided here constantly while Dean of St. Paul's, and occasionally after his translation to the primacy.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 147-150. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50941 Date accessed: 21 April 2010.

Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.