Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Centre
Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Center serves the western part of the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and the adjacent area.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
14325 - 53rd Ave,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Open Hours:
Tuesday and Thursday 10am-2pm & 6:30pm-9:30pm; Wednesday 10am-4pm
Closed: Christmas, weekends
Attention: Saturdays (By Appointment Only Between 10am-1pm) Please Call: 780-435-8141.
- Driving Directions
Take the 53 Ave Exit from Whitemud Drive, and come about one block east.
We are in the large brick church on the south side of 53 Ave.
(Edmonton Riverbend Stake Centre)
The northern entrance on the east side of the building will be unlocked when the FHC is open.
There is plenty of free parking.
- Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=14325+53rd+Avenue+North+West,+Edmonton,+Alberta,+Canada&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.22791,50.185547&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=14325+53+Ave+NW,+Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=53.494684,-113.562927&spn=0.039827,0.098019&z=13
Calendar and Events
Class Schedule: Thursday 7:00 PM
Staff Training Meetings: Normally the 4th Sunday each month, in the Relief Society room
- Family History Library Catalog: Patrons can order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog online, at https://film.familysearch.org/ and have them sent to our FHC to view them.
- We also have films/fiche on long term loan that can be viewed if the person that ordered tem is not using them.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. e.g. ancestry.com, heritagequest.com, findmypast.co.uk, footnote.com, worldvitalrecords.com, genlines.com
- Our computers have PAF and several of the FamilySearch affiliate software programs installed, including FamilyInsight, AncestralQuest, RootsMagic, and PAF Companion.
Hardware and Equipment
- We have 6 computers and wi-fi, 2 printers on the wi-fi network, 1 scanner, 6 microfilm readers, 1 microfiche reader, 1 reader/printer for film and fiche. Patrons may use their laptops on our wi-fi network, but only our own computers will have free access to the subscription-based websites.
Staff Research Specialties
Sue Barnsley - United Kingdom with a specialty in Scotland, Italy
Bill Buchanan - Canada, England and Wales
Don Salmon - Scandinavia with a specialty in Denmark
Resources in the Local Area
The Provincial Archives of Alberta has most of the local histories for Alberta, which include biographies of families, as well as a computer database of people who lived and died in Alberta. They also have history books and an extensive microfilm library.
Address: 8555 Roper Road, Edmonton, AB T6E 5W1
Edmonton Public Library has extensive holdings as well. The Stanley A. Milner Library has a genealogy room. There are 17 EPL branches distributed throughout the city. Patrons have access to Ancestry.com's Library Edition and also Heritage Quest Online (on their library catalog computers).
Edmonton Alberta Bonnie Doon Family History Centre
9010 - 85th Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours: Tuesday,Thursday 9am-9pm; Friday 9am-1pm.
Closed: Major Holidays
This is our companion FHC in Edmonton.
Royal Alberta Museum
The museum does not have genealogical records. They ask that genealogy questions be referred to the Provincial Archives of Alberta, their sister institution.
Alberta GenWeb Sites for some nearby counties
Note that Sturgeon (St-Albert) has resources for Metis and French Canadian research, plus a link to Musée Héritage Museum in the city of St-Albert.
Volunteer at the Center
We would welcome knowledgeable volunteers, interested in helping during our regular shifts. We are also looking for volunteers who would be willing to teach an occasional class on their research speciality.
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=14325+53rd+Avenue+North+West,+Edmonton,+Alberta,+Canada&aq=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=14325+53+Ave+NW,+Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=53.489961,-113.570116&spn=0.039825,0.098019&z=13&output=embed"></iframe>
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=14325+53rd+Avenue+North+West,+Edmonton,+Alberta,+Canada&aq=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=14325+53+Ave+NW,+Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=53.489961,-113.570116&spn=0.039825,0.098019&z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a>