Difference between revisions of "Edgefield, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above." to "{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}")
(Added to parish history)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Edgefield Old Church Tower.JPG|thumb|right]]  
+
[[Image:Edgefield Old Church Tower.JPG|thumb|right|Edgefield Old Church Tower.JPG]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Edgefield St Peter and St Paul is the current church for the Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norfolk.<br>
+
EDGEFIELD (St. Peter), a '''parish''', in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S.) from Holt. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50940#s7 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''](1848), pp. 144-147.</ref>
 +
 
 +
<br> Edgefield St Peter and St Paul is the current church for the Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norfolk.<br>  
  
 
The ruined tower of the old church remain but in 1882 this old church was dismantled and moved to the current church site and built under the direction of the architect J D Sedding.  
 
The ruined tower of the old church remain but in 1882 this old church was dismantled and moved to the current church site and built under the direction of the architect J D Sedding.  
  
[[Image:Edgefield Window.JPG|thumb|right]]  
+
[[Image:Edgefield Window.JPG|thumb|right|Edgefield Window.JPG]]  
  
 
The long incumbency of&nbsp;Canon Walter Marcon form the 1870's to the 1930's had lead to this extraordinary removal to a new church site.  
 
The long incumbency of&nbsp;Canon Walter Marcon form the 1870's to the 1930's had lead to this extraordinary removal to a new church site.  
  
&nbsp;The new church was a reproduction of the old one, apart from the tower, using much of the masonry from the original which stood a mile west. Consecration took place in 1885 and the tower was built in 1907-09, with a clock added in 1921. The Canon is remembered in the new church where he is depicted riding his bike in a window, which also commemorates the building of the church. This window was installed in the church in the 1980’s. The 13th century tower from the old church still stands in a farmyard on the road to Hunworth. It is octagonal in shape and built from flint and carstone. The remnants and tower of the old church were renovated with grants from English Heritage in 1981. The Rector and P.C.C. still have the responsibility for the tower, and for the churchyard which has been passed to the civil authorities. Due to an administration error bear baiting is still legal within the village confines.<br>
+
&nbsp;The new church was a reproduction of the old one, apart from the tower, using much of the masonry from the original which stood a mile west. Consecration took place in 1885 and the tower was built in 1907-09, with a clock added in 1921. The Canon is remembered in the new church where he is depicted riding his bike in a window, which also commemorates the building of the church. This window was installed in the church in the 1980’s. The 13th century tower from the old church still stands in a farmyard on the road to Hunworth. It is octagonal in shape and built from flint and carstone. The remnants and tower of the old church were renovated with grants from English Heritage in 1981. The Rector and P.C.C. still have the responsibility for the tower, and for the churchyard which has been passed to the civil authorities. Due to an administration error bear baiting is still legal within the village confines.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 29: Line 31:
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 275/1-7<br>
+
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 275/1-7<br>  
  
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held<br>A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication<br>
+
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held<br>A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication<br>  
  
{| style="width: 677px; height: 125px" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
+
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 677px; height: 125px"
 
|-
 
|-
| Collection<br>
+
| Collection<br>  
 
| Film<br>
 
| Film<br>
 
|-
 
|-
| Baptisms, burials and marriages 1601-1607, 1623-1636, 1661?-1812 <br>
+
| Baptisms, burials and marriages 1601-1607, 1623-1636, 1661?-1812 <br>  
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1526777 Item 7<br><br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1526777 Item 7<br><br>
 
|}
 
|}
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
&nbsp;<span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1333467650829_513" /><span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1333467650830_43" />a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438862}}
+
&nbsp;<span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1333467650829_513" /><span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1333467650830_43" />a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438862}}  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
Erpingham &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/erpingham_workhouse.htm<br>
+
Erpingham &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/erpingham_workhouse.htm<br>  
  
 
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]  
 
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]  
Line 60: Line 62:
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 68: Line 70:
  
 
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}  
 
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}  
 +
 +
== Resources ==
 +
 +
{{reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 14:01, 11 March 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Edgefield Old Church Tower.JPG

Parish History

EDGEFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S.) from Holt. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship.[1]


Edgefield St Peter and St Paul is the current church for the Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norfolk.

The ruined tower of the old church remain but in 1882 this old church was dismantled and moved to the current church site and built under the direction of the architect J D Sedding.

Edgefield Window.JPG

The long incumbency of Canon Walter Marcon form the 1870's to the 1930's had lead to this extraordinary removal to a new church site.

 The new church was a reproduction of the old one, apart from the tower, using much of the masonry from the original which stood a mile west. Consecration took place in 1885 and the tower was built in 1907-09, with a clock added in 1921. The Canon is remembered in the new church where he is depicted riding his bike in a window, which also commemorates the building of the church. This window was installed in the church in the 1980’s. The 13th century tower from the old church still stands in a farmyard on the road to Hunworth. It is octagonal in shape and built from flint and carstone. The remnants and tower of the old church were renovated with grants from English Heritage in 1981. The Rector and P.C.C. still have the responsibility for the tower, and for the churchyard which has been passed to the civil authorities. Due to an administration error bear baiting is still legal within the village confines.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Erpingham 1837-1938
  • North Walsham 1939-1974
  • The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
    Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: registration.nwalsham@norfolk.gov.uk

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Norfolk Record Office reference PD 275/1-7

This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication

Collection
Film
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1601-1607, 1623-1636, 1661?-1812
FHL BRITISH Film
1526777 Item 7


Census records

 a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Poor Law Unions

Erpingham       http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/erpingham_workhouse.htm

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Resources

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 144-147.