Edgecombe County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Edgecombe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Edgecombe County was formed in 1741 from Bertie County. It was named for Richard Edgcombe, a Member of Parliament from 1701 to 1742 and a lord of the treasury, who became 1st Baron Edgcumbe in 1742.
In 1746 part of Edgecombe County became Granville County; in 1758 another portion became Halifax County; and in 1777 yet another part became Nash County. In 1855 the formation of Wilson County from parts of Edgecombe County, Johnston County, Nash County, and Wayne County reduced Edgecombe to its present size, with a minor boundary adjustments.
Land records prior to 1759 are among those of Halifax County.
- Cemetery information on Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb
- Cemetery information on Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb Archives
- Edgecombe County cemeteries - Find-A-Grave
- Calvary Episcopal Cemetery - in Tarboro;site contains interactive burial plot map
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Rocky Mount
- [Boddie] Leary, Helen F.M. "The Two William Boddies of North Carolina," The American Genealogist, Vol. 66, No. 1 (Jan. 1991):16-29; Vol. 62, No. 2 (Apr. 1991):106-110; Vol. 66, No. 3 (Jul. 1991):148-153. Available at FHL.
- Pamphlet: To the citizens and soldiers of Edgecomb County : I respectfully announce myself a candidate for the office of Sheriff of Edgecomb county (1864) by J.B Jenkins - full-text online via the Internet Archive
- The History of Edgecombe County - online book at Eastern North Carolina Library
- North Carolina Map-1779 - includes early Edgecombe Co.
- North Carolina County Formations - clickable map for 1700 - 1912
- Edgecombe County-1905
- Edgecombe County Maps- from the UNC Digital Maps Collections
- 1895 Edgecombe County - from Pam Rietsch's fantastic 1895 US Atlas Project
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Wesleyan College Yearbooks: 1962-2009 - freely available via the NC Digitization Center
- Edgecombe County students at North Carolina colleges - a list alphabetized by surname from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Edgecombe County, USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).