Difference between revisions of "Eastland County, Texas Genealogy"
(Eastland County, Texas)
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
[[Image:TexasEastlandCourthouse.jpg|thumb|right|]]Eastland County Courthouse<br>Box 110<br>Eastland, TX 76448<br>2546291583
County has 1903-1930 1940-1950, from 1874, land from 1870, from 1882 from 1919; has from 1903
== History ==
== History ==
Revision as of 16:24, 7 September 2012United States Texas Counties E Eastland County
|Eastland County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 1, 1858|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
PO Box 110;
Eastland, TX 76448
County Clerk has birth and death records 1903-1930 and 1940-1950, marriage records from 1874, land records from 1870, probate records from 1882 and military discharge from 1919; District Court has divorce records from 1903
County Clerk's Office
1st floor, Eastland County Courthouse
100 W. Main, Suite 102
P.O. Box 110
Eastland, TX 76448
1896--Eastland County Courthouse, a three-story stone building, burned on November 29, 1896. The records are believed to have been saved. 
Carbon | Cisco | Desdemona | Eastland | Gorman | Kokomo | Mangum | Nimrod | Olden | Pioneer | Ranger | Rising Star | Romney | Sabanno | Scranton
- Eastland County, Texas Cemetery Inscriptions, Vol 1- 3, Compiled by Weldon I. Hudson and Shirley Brittain Cawyer, are available at the Centennial Library in Eastland, and may be on the shelves at other libraries, as well. These books were reprinted in 2005 and may be commercially available.
- Volume 1. Cemeteries included: Desdemona, Howard, Davidson (or Tanner), Arther Grave, Tudor (or Gourdneck), Evans Family, Gregg Family, Alameda, Pilgrim, Dabney, Cook, Cross Roads, Tracy (or Brewster), Russell Creek (or Lemley), Bullock, Colony, Moss Curve, Evegreen (Ranger City Cemetery), Pioneer (Ranger City Cemetery), Merriman, Gorman and Oaklawn, Ellison's Spring, Elm (or Midway), Simpson, Mangum Family, Kokomo, Ames, Bollinger (or Freedom), Staff, Providence (or McGough Springs or Comfort), and McGough.
- Volume 2. Cemeteries included: Eastland, Pleasant Grove, Lem Switch (or Briggs Owen), Corinth, Bedford, Reagan (or Latham), Central Methodist, Downtain, Murray Memorial, Jewell, Sutton, McBroom, Jordan, Baseline, Basham, Carbon Restland, Pleasant Hill, Flatwood, Bear Springs, Pleasant Valley, Hittson and Big Sandy, Union (or Cook), Romney, Nimrod, Brown, Coyote Peak, Center Point, Liberty, Salt Tank, Curtis, Elm, Long Branch, Booger Mountain, Thannisch (or Morgan), Lutheran No. 1, Lutheran No. 2, Lutheran - Massman, Unmarked Gravesites, and "Genealogical Notes from Arrington's Funeral Home."
- Volume 3. Cemeteries included: Oakwood (at Cisco), Rising Star, Tipton (or Bois d'Arc), Scranton, Lane, Pioneer, Sabanno, Dothan, Short Graves, Monroe, Haskell, Mitchell, Wayside, Pisgah, Morgan (or Hale), Bacon Ranch Graves, and Unmarked Graves.
- Eastland City Cemetery, listing of all graves online from eastland.net (After the page opens, scroll to the bottom until you see "Eastland Cemetery Interment Listing"). Bury Patch, by Dean Vernon, a book about the cemetery with transcriptions is available from the City of Eastland, 113 E Commerce St., Eastland, TX 76448. Cost $25.00, plus tax and shipping. (254) 629-3349.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
A wiki article describing an online collections is found at:
- History of Eastland County, by Mrs. George Langston, (Dallas: Aldridge, 1904). Full text version online at archive.org.
- History of Eastland County, Texas, by Edwin T. Cox, (San Antonio: Naylor, 1950).
- Eastland County, Texas: A Historical and Biographical Survey, by Ruby Pearl Ghormley, (Austin: Rupegy, 1969).
- The History of Eastland County, 1873-1973.
- Eastland City Maps from cityofeastland.com
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Eastland Cemetery War Memorials
- Eastland County Heroes at ancestralheroes.com
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Eastland Telegram, Cisco Press, Ranger Times, The Rising Star - newspapers. Published twice weekly (except for The Rising Star which is published on Thursdays). PDF version of each issue on line within a couple of weeks of publication.
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Centennial Memorial Library
210 S Lamar St
Eastland, TX 76448
Phone: (254) 629-2281
Cisco Public Library
600 Ave G
Cisco, TX 76437
Phone: (254) 442-1020
Ranger City Library
718 Pine St
Ranger, TX 76470
Phone: (254) 647-1880
Charlie Garrett Memorial Library
103 S Fisher
Gorman, TX 76454
Phone: (254) 734-3301
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Eastland County TXGenWeb site. History, cemeteries, business, school information, marriages, maps, family information, etc.
- Eastland County Old Photos, old photographs of people and places in Eastland, Ranger, Cisco and other parts of Eastland County, Texas.
- City of Eastland: eastlandtexas.com and cityofeastland.com websites.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Eastland, TX Courthouse Fire, Nov 1896 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17829/eastland-tx-courthouse-fire-nov-1896