Eastham, Cheshire Genealogy
It is possible that there was a little chapel at ‘Estham’, as it was then known, before the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. The large ) manor of ‘Estham’, which then included Bromborough, was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, a survey of England ordered by King William I. ‘Estham’ had become the property (the most valuable in Wirral) of Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, who granted the tithes (taxes on land) to St Werburgh’s Abbey in Chester in 1093. (St Werburgh became Abbess of a convent there around 675 but though this was later replaced by a monastery of Benedictine monks, her name wasretained). A successor, Earl Randle Gernons, granted the manors of Eastham and Bromborough together with their churches to St Werburgh’s in about 1152. So Eastham had its own parish church then although it was still referred to as a chapel and was served by the mother church at Bromborough.
" The little chapel was probably built originally of "wattIe and daub", a lattice of tree branches filled in with mud or clay, "Iarge enough to cover the altar and to shelter the sacred elements (of bread and wine used in Holy Communion services) from the rain and storm", as historian W F Irvine wrote in 1896. It has been suggested that Norman elements can be identified in the present church (the north wall of the Stanley Chapel), although the main building period seems to have been the 13th century and early 14th century. A steeple was built around 1320. It appears that one priest served both Bromborough and Eastham at this time. Pope Honorius referred to “eccl’ias (church) de brombro’, cum capella (chapel) de estham".
The church remained the property of the Abbey until 1541. In that year, the Abbey was dissolved and the building became a Cathedral by order of Henry VIII, shortly after the Church of England broke away from the Pope. Eastham church then became the property of the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral, who still today appoint the vicars.
The church "grew" from then on. At that time, Eastham parish then covered seven townships : Eastham, Hooton, Childer Thornton, Little Sutton, Great Sutton, Overpool, Netherpool and also part of Whitby, all but the first now being part of the borough of Ellesmere Port and Neston. In 1851 the total population of these scattered communitieswas 2,411.
At one time the vicar had the right to pasture a horse, cow, colt, or heifer at nearby Netherpool or Hooton. Records also say that at one time he "hath all the fish taken in the river Mersey within the extent of his parish on Sundays and Fridays".Parish Records
A report in St Mary’s parish magazine for September 1874 quotes the welI—known American author Nathaniel Hawthorne, who was American Consul in Liverpool, as describing Eastham in his English Notes as "the finest old English village I have ever seen, with a rural aspect, utterly unlike anything in America, in its midst a venerable church with a most venerable air."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Eastham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Eastham Parish Online Records|
|FS BT'S|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Eastham, St. Mary (C of E). An ancient parish, originally comprising the townships of Childer Thornton, Eastham, Great Sutton, Hooton, Little Sutton, Netherpool, Overpool and Whitby (part). Registers of Baptisms 1598–1873, Marriages 1598–1992 and Burials 1598–1954 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Parish registers for Eastham, Cheshire, 1598-1954 Cheshire Record Office call no.: P195/1/1-5, P195/2/1-3, P195/3/1-3, P195/4, P195/5/1-3, P195/5638/1, 3-7, 23-25.
|Parish registers Content||FHL Film|
|Burials, 1598-1812. Marriages, 1598-1754. Baptisms, 1598-1827.||BRITISH 2106555 Items 11 - 16|
|Baptisms, 1826-1866. Marriages, 1754-1838. Marriage banns, 1823-1867. Burials, 1813-1884.||BRITISH 2106556 Items 1 - 10|
|Marriages including banns, 1792-1812.||BRITISH 2326898 Item 3|
|Baptisms, 1866-1951. Marriages, 1837-1951. Burials, 1844-1895.||BRITISH 2147234 Items 7 - 13|
|Burials, Aug. 1895-1954.||BRITISH Film 2147235 Items 1 - 3|
Bishop's transcripts for Eastham, 1600-1870 Early entries in Latin. Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB 84.
|Bishop's transcripts||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1600, 1602-1604, 1606-1610, 1615, 1617-1618, 1620-1624, 1626-1627, 1630-1632, 1634, 1636, 1638-1639, 1641, 1664, 1665, 1668-1677, 1679-1685, 1690-1691, 1694-1765.|| BRITISH |
1655667 Item 3
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriage, burials, 1743-1747, 1750-1761, 1764-1830, 1832-1870. Burials, 1831.||BRITISH 1655668 Item 1|
|Parish registers 1598 to 1700. Includes index.||BRITISH 90132|
- Eastham, United Reformed Church, Crossthwaite Avenue. Founded 1943.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.