Ealing St Mary, Middlesex Genealogy
EALING, a village and a parish in Brentford district, Middlesex. The village stands adjacent to the Great Western railway, 1½ mile N by E of Brentford; has a station on the railway with telegraph, a post office under London W, and a police station; and was formerly called Yelling. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Ealing and the chapelry of Old Brentford. Acres, 3, 814. Real property, £58, 681; of which £3, 950 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 9, 828; in 1861, 11, 963. Houses, 2, 336. Pop., exclusive of Old Brentford chapelry, 5, 215. The rated property, exclusive of Old Brentford, amounts to £28, 952, and is not much divided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of London; and part of the land is common. Ealing Grove was the seat of the Gulstons; Ealing Green was the seat of Sir J. Soane; Ealing Park was the seat and death-place of Bishop Z. Pearce; Castle-Beare belonged to the Duke of Kent; and Gunnersbury Park is the seat of Baron Rothschild. Dr. Owen, Peter le Conrager, Perceval, and Fielding were residents. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £679.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was rebuilt in 1740, and was highly improved in 1866. The vicarages of Christchurch, St. Paul, and old Brentford are separate benefices. Christchurch was constituted in 1852; St. Paul, in 1864. Pop. of Christ-church, 3, 324; of St. Paul, 4, 409. Value of Christ-church vicarage, £300;* of St. Paul's, £300. Patron of C., the Bishop; of St. P., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. Two temporary churches, St. John and St. Stephen, were built in 1867. A new Independent chapel, in the Gothic style, was built in 1861, at a cost of £5, 000. Two chapels, Baptist and Wesleyan, were built in 1865. Lady Capel's boys' school has £149 from endowment; Lady Rawlinson's girls' school has £144; charities, £274.
John Marius Wilson, “Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales,” (Edinburgh: A, Fullerton & Co., 1870). Online here.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.