Dyserth, Denbighshire Genealogy
Dyserth is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, comprising the townships of Dyserth, Llewerllyd, Rhyd and Trecastell. The name Dyserth is believed by some scholars to indicate one of the early methods of Christian evangelisation - by hermits; it occurs in several parishes in Wales, and in many parishes in Ireland, as Dysart. The site of Dyserth Castle stands high on the rocky hill which dominates the village. Now almost nothing remains other than banks and ditch defences of the outer ward. Other evidence survived until the early part of this century, but has since been destroyed by the very extensive quarrying that has taken place in the area. The Castle was constructed by Henry III following his defeat of Dafydd ap Llywelyn in 1241, and was completed by 1250. It had a very short history, as it was destroyed in 1262 after a siege of some six weeks, by the Welsh, under the leadership of Llywelyn the last.
For more information on Dyserth see Genuki - Dyserth
|before 31 March 1974||Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|