Durham County, Maryland Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:48, 4 November 2008 by DiltsGD (add links)
- Durham was created as a county of Maryland on 22 October 1669.
- Durham County, Maryland was in what is now southern Kent County, and northern Sussex County, Delaware (claimed for a short while by New Netherlands, and then by Maryland, and Pennsylvania).
- 47 new land grants for Maryland were granted in Durham County as late as 1682, although Durham County should have been incorporated into old Worcester County, Maryland in 1670.
- In 1738 Maryland recognized the claim of Pennsylvania to the lower three counties on the Delaware River (now the State of Delaware) including what was once all of Durham County, or later part of old Worcester County, Maryland.
- Reginald V. Truitt, and Millard G. Les Callette, Worcester County Maryland’s Arcadia (Snow Hill, Md.: Worcester County Historical Society, 1977), 39. [FHL book 975.221 H2t; fiche 6087644]
- Ibid., 43.
- Ibid., 43-48.