Donley County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The current Donley County courthouse, a Romanesque Revival design building, was opened in November 1891. The courthouse was restored in 2003. It is the oldest functioning courthouse in the Texas Panhandle and is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark. 
Donley County Courthouse
300 S. Sully
Clarendon, TX 79226
County Clerk - Fay Vargas
PO Drawer U
Clarendon, TX 79226
FAX (806) 874-3351
Donley County Government website
Donley County; 300 S Sally; Clarendon, TX 79226; Ph. 806.874.3436 Details: (Co Clk has b rec from 1877, m & land rec from 1882, d rec from 1903, pro rec from 1923 & mil dis rec from 1919)
Originally named Wegefarth County and organized in 1882, the county was renamed Donley.
Clarendon | Hedley | Howardwick | Lelia Lake
Donley County: Land O' Promise, 1975, by Virginia Browder.
Donley County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- HistoricTexas.net: Donley County http://www3.historictexas.net/donley-county-texas
- Handbook of Texas Online: Donley County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcd10
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).