Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Vanover, Gregory Lynn, Joan Short Vanover, and Barbara Kendrick Vanover. Dickenson County, Virginia, 1900 Federal Census. Pound, Virginia: G.L. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Sand Lick Primitive Baptist Church, the First Hundred Years, 1837-1937: A History of the Oldest Religious Organization in Dickenson County, Virginia. 1937; reprint, [Clintwood, Virginia?]: Mullins Printing, 1985. Available at FHL.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. In addition to finding a direct ancestor’s surname listed, and watching to see if more recent publications make additions and corrections to earlier works, this list is also useful for determining if genealogists have published accounts, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, for any members of an ancestor’s “FAN Club” [Family, Associates, and Neighbors]. Checking publications about those individuals can lead you to new information about your own ancestry. Be mindful that compiled genealogies may contain errors.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. E. J. Sutherland Collection, Dickenson County, Virginia, 1650-1965. MSS., available at FHL. [Includes Dickenson Co. families, 1650-1964 and Dickenson Co. genealogy 1732-1933.]
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Some Sandy Basin Characters. Clintwood, Va.: E.J. Sutherland, 1962. 1985 reprint available at FHL.
- [Amburgey] Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. E. J. Sutherland Cllection, Dickenson County, Virginia, 1650-1965. MSS., available at FHL.
- [Colley] Boardman, Elizabeth Joye Mabe. Thomas Colley Family: Russell County, Virginia; Washington County, Virginia; Dickenson County, Virginia; Buchanan County, Virginia; Smyth County, Virginia. [Palm Coast, Florida]: J. Boardman, 2001. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Counts] See Amburgey.
- [Crabtree] Steele, Fannie Lane and Ina Jean Stanley Dotson. The Crabtree-Stanley Collection: A Memorial, a Collection of the Ancestry and Descendants of James Crabtree and James Stanley. Wise, Virginia: F.L. Steele, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Ervin] Ervin, Maxwell. Clan Ervin: Russell and Dickenson Counties, Virginia. Springfield, Massachusetts: M. Ervin, 2008. Available at FHL.
- [Fuller] Wilcox, Roxie Hammill. Some Fullers of Buchanan and Dickenson Counties in Virginia: And Their Descendants. Portland, Oregon: R.H. Wilcox, 1977. Available at FHL.
- [Kiser] Kiser, Esther. Sandy Ridge Kiser - Powers Kinsfolks. Cleveland, Va.: E. Kiser, 1986. Available at FHL.
- [Lane] Steele, Fannie Lane. The Lane Family: The Ancestry and Descendants of General Jackson Lane and Allied Families: Crabtree, Estep, Hutchinson, Powers, Ritchie, Roberson, Russell. Wise, Virginia: F.L. Steele, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Mullins] Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. "The Mullins Family in Dickenson County," The Cumberland Empire, Vol. 4 (Oct. 1932). Available at FHL.
- [Rose] Johnson, Denver G. My Rose Family of Dickenson County, Virginia -- and Beyond: A Genealogy of My Mother’s Rose Family of Southwest Virginia. n.p.: D.G. Johnson, 2009. Available at FHL.
- [Stanley] See Crabtree.
- [Sutherland] See Amburgey.
- [Taylor] Owens, Jane E. Bolton. Owens Family: And Related Families. San Diego, Calif.: J.B. Owens, 1989. Available at FHL.
- Giles, Albert William. The Geology and Coal Resources of Dickenson County, Virginia. University of Virginia, 1921. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Schwab, W.G. The Forests of Dickenson County, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va., 1917. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Meet Virginia's Baby: A Brief Pictorial History of Dickenson County, Virginia, from Its Formation in 1880 to 1955, with Stress on Pioneer Background. Clintwood, Va.: E.J. Sutherland, 1955. 1975 reprint available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper and Hetty Swindall Sutherland. Pioneer Recollections of Southwest Virginia. Clintwood, Va.: H.S. Sutherland, G.L. Vanover, and J.S. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
- Gobble, Lillian and Rhonda Robertson. Between Brothers: Civil War Soldiers of Wise & Dickenson County [Virginia]. [Big Stone Gap, Virginia: L. Gobble & R. Robertson, 200-?]. Available at FHL.
- Dickenson County, Virginia, Family Bible Records, 1934-1935. Clintwood, Virginia: Mullins Printing, 1999. Available at FHL.
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Dickenson County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1964):124-126. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. E. J. Sutherland Collection, Dickenson County, Virginia, 1650-1965. MSS., available at FHL. [Includes Dickenson County Vital Statistics, 1830-1938.]
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).