Delta County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Sometimes referred to as the Vetch Capital of the World. The first settlers arrived in the early 1840's.
See an interactive map of Delta County border changes.
1899--The Delta County Courthouse at Cooper was destroyed by fire on 9 March 1899. Nearly all of the county records were stored in a fireproof vault and were saved. Records in the district clerk's office, probably records on current cases, were destroyed.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has San Antonio newspapers from the late 1800's that may include residents from Delta County.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Cooper, TX Delta County Courthouse Fire, Mar 1899 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17957/cooper-tx-delta-county-courthouse-fire-mar-1899