Deaf Smith County, Texas Genealogy
|Deaf Smith County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1876--Deaf Smith County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar District. County seat: Hereford 
- Deaf Smith County - TXGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- The land and its people, 1876-1981: Deaf Smith County, Texas, 1982 by the Deaf Smith County Historical Society, a history book featuring local history, photographs, illustrations, and biographies. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
- A History of Deaf Smith County, 1964, by Bessie Patterson.
- Deaf Smith County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
The County Clerk's Office is the record keeper of the county. The county records include birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, military discharges, land records, real estate records, property records, probate and civil filings.
The Deaf Smith County Clerk has court records, land records, probate records and marriage records from 1890, as well as birth/death Records from 1903. It is located at 235 E. 3rd St., Room 203, Hereford, TX 79045-5515; Telephone: 806-363-7077 .
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Deaf Smith County Library
211 E 4th St
Hereford, TX 79045
Phone: (806) 364-1206
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).