DeWitt County, Illinois Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1839--DeWitt County was created 1 March 1839 from Macon and McLean Counties. County seat: Clinton 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in DeWitt County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- witt.htm DeWitt Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in DeWitt County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of DeWitt County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Farmer City
- Portrait and Biographical Album of DeWitt and Piatt Counties, Illinois. Chicago: Chapman Brothers Publishing Company, 1891.
Societies and Libraries
DeWitt County Genealogical Society P.O. Box 632 Clinton, Illinois 61717-0632
This library has extensive DeWitt County only extractions of many census. They have marriage index. They publish a quarterly Journal with extracts about people from old newspapers that include births, marriages and funerals. The also include little family notices about who was visiting who and who was at weddings and other family news items.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- DeWitt County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 193. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.