DeSoto Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:22, 12 February 2011 by Evancol
|DeSoto Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 1, 1843|
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Archives and Libraries
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church History and Records
- 4.5 Court Records
- 4.6 History
- 4.7 Land and property
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military History and Records
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Obituaries
- 4.12 Probate Records
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
- Named for Hernando deSoto (small "d"), the Spaniard who explored the future southeastern United States, discovered and named the Mississippi River.
- The first Parish courthouse was a log house.
- 1 April 1843: DeSoto Parish was created from Natchitoches and Caddo Parishes.
Parish seat: Mansfield 
- Eastern part of the parish was set off 2 March 1871 to form Red River Parish
Places / Localities
- City: Mansfield
- Towns: Keachi . Logansport . Stonewall
- Villages: Grand Cane . Longstreet . South Mansfield . Stanley
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
Archives and Libraries
- DeSoto Parish LA. Cemeteries - LAGenWeb
- Click here to check out Trish Cannon website for cemetery lists.
|De Soto Parish Census Data|
Church History and Records
Land and property
Military History and Records
War of 1812
World War I
World War II
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for DeSoto Parish.
- The DeSoto Parish LAGenWeb Project, an member of The LAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- DeSoto Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "De Soto Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22031.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.