DeSoto Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 13:46, 18 December 2010 by Relppek
Template:Louisiana-stub United States > Louisiana > DeSoto Parish
This page maintained by Jane Sanford Keppler
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources http://www.countygenweb.com/DeSotoParishLA/homepage.htm
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Named for Hernando deSoto (small "d"), the Spaniard who explored the future southeastern United States, discovered and named the Mississippi River.
- The first Parish courthouse was a log house.
- 1843--DeSoto Parish was created 1 April 1843 from Natchitoches and Caddo Parishes. Parish seat: Mansfield 
- Eastern part of the parish was set off 2 March 1871 to form Red River Parish
Places / Localities
- City: Mansfield
- Towns: Keachi . Logansport . Stonewall
- Villages: Grand Cane . Longstreet . South Mansfield . Stanley
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for DeSoto Parish.
- The DeSoto Parish LAGenWeb Project, an member of The LAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- DeSoto Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).