DeSoto County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to DeSoto County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1836--DeSoto County was created 9 February 1836 from Indian Lands.
County seat: Hernando 
1940--Some county records were lost.
For tips on accessing DeSoto County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
- Civil War service men from DeSoto County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in DeSoto County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company A - Horn Lake Volunteers [formerly Co. E, 9th MS Infantry]
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company D - DeSoto Greys
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company K - Ward’s Company
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company E - Horn Lake Volunteers
- Company G - DeSoto Guards
- Company K - Irrepressibles
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company A - Capt. Wallace’s Company
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1840-1890s - DeSoto County, Mississippi Marriages. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1845-1916 - DeSoto County Marriage Books A-I and 1-8 Index 1845-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Desoto County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.