Dayton Ohio East Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Dayton Ohio East Family History Center (FHC) is a branch of FamilySearch and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah (United States). Our goal is to provide free resources to assist you in the research and study of your genealogy and family history by:
• Giving personal one-on-one assistance to patrons
• Providing access to genealogical records through the Internet and the microfilm loan program
• Offering free how-to classes
The Dayton Ohio East (DOE) Family History Center is a stand-alone center with computers, scanners, internet access and related family history programs. We are open 20 hours per week and have a collection of books, microfiche, and microfilm. We have a new high speed photo/document scanner and a new overhead scanner. We also have digital-imaging equipment with the ability to copy film and fiche to your USB drive or paper. Microfilm and microfiche readers are also available. We have a staff of dedicated volunteers. Our more experienced volunteers are able to help with specific research challenges. There is no cost to visit a Family History Center. We are a non-profit organization open to anyone with an interest in genealogical research.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 3060 Terry Dr Fairborn OH 45324 United States
- Main entrance and parking is in back of building
- Handicap entrance and parking is in front of building.
- Karen Jenney
- Assistant Directors: Linda Sellers and Jenny Harvey
- Thurs: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
EASTER & GENERAL CONFERENCE THUR, FRI, SAT. MAR 29-31
GENERAL CONFERENCE SAT. OCT 6
THANKSGIVING THUR, FRI, SAT. NOV. 22-24
CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR DEC. 16 - JAN 2, 2019
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness: Please call ahead to make sure we are open.
CLASSES EVERY 2ND & 4TH SAT EACH MONTH; 9-10AM
FREE "How To" Classes - topics vary and include lessons about using FamilySearch, related mobile apps, and other research techniques.
Bring with you any basic family information you have, paper/electronic device for notes.
Classes will include a short lesson/presentation and then hands-on follow-up.
If you have questions, please call the Center during our open hours (see above).
Staff Training Meetings
FOR 2018 - MAR 17; JUN 16; SEP 15; DEC 15 - 9-10AM
- FamilySearch Catalog: We have a large collection of microfilms and microfiche on site from the FamilySearch catalog. Please refer to the catalog for items currently housed in our collection.
- Books and maps related to Ohio and surrounding states; some international reference books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal Our center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 computers
- 1 high speed photo/document scanner for digitizing photos or documents to USB drive
- 1 overhead scanner for digitizing photos, documents, books, or objects to USB drive
- 1 digital imaging machine for copying film or fiche to USB drive, CD or paper.
- 3 printers
- 4 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.) </fck:hr>