Day County, South Dakota Genealogy
Day County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Day County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1879|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Day County Courthouse
710 W 1st Street
Webster, SD 57274-1391
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905,
land records from 1879 and burial records from 1930;
County Treasurer has marriage records from 1880;
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from 1885
and probate records from 1898
- 1879--Day County was created 1 October 1879 from Greeley, Eliminated 1 Oct. 1879, and Stone, Eliminated 1 Oct. 1879, Counties.
County seat: Webster 
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Day County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Roberts, and Codington Counties in South Dakota and in Richland and Sargent Counties in North Dakota.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Bergen Lutheran Church, Bristol
- Records of Bergen Lutheran Church, Bristol, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's Lutheran Church
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Day County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Day then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Day County, South Dakota, p.624
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).