Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Library|
- National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
- 1776 D Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006-5303
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 to 4:00, Saturday 9:00 to 5:00
Internet sites and databases:
- DAR Library Internet Site, National Society, Constitution Hall, Museum, Library, collection, giving, shopping, announcements, news, photos and videos, online library catalog, membership, genealogy research.
- DAR Library Catalog Online.
- The DAR Genealogical Research System.
- "Daughters of the American Revolution," in Wikipedia.
The DAR Library houses one of the largest genealogical collections in the United States. Its book collection includes more than 150,000 volumes concerning people and places throughout the nation. The collection focuses primarily on the generation of the American Revolution, but also includes substantial resources for studying people from the colonial period and the nineteenth century. "Through the efforts of local DAR members and chapters nationwide approximately 15,000 volumes of Genealogical Records Committee Reports have entered the Library and constitute a unique source for family histories, cemetery record transcriptions, and Bible records."
Visitors who are not members of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Sons of the Revolution, or the Children of the American Revolution pay a small entrance fee. The Library's rules are listed on the page "Info for Beginners."
If you cannot visit or find a record at the DAR Library, a similar record may be available at one of the following.
- Sons of the American Revolution Library, Louisville KY, 58,000 items: family histories, state genealogy materials, federal census, Revolutionary War pension applications and CD collections. Mostly for revolutionary period.
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a premier genealogical periodical collection, genealogies, local histories, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, American Indians, African Americans, Canadians.
- United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada, Toronto ONT, Loyalists directory, and Toronto Branch Library.
- Hessische Truppen im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg (Hetrina) : Index nach Familiennamen (Hessian Troops in the American War for Independence (HETRINA) : Index by Surname) 6 vols. Veröffentlichungen der Archivschule Marburg, Institut für Archivwissenschaft : Nr. 10 (Marburg : Der Archivschule Marburg, Institut für Archivwissenschaft, 1972) [FHL Book 943 M2mg; Film 1320516 Items 6-7 and 1320542 Items 5-6].
- Les combattants français de la guerre américaine, 1778-1783 (French soldiers in the American Revolution). Baltimore, Md: Genealogical Publ., 1969. Originally published as: United States Congress. 58th Congress, Second Session. Senate. Document number 77. [FHL Book 944 M2cf; Film 547088 item 5]. Includes index.
- Library of Congress, Washington DC, Local History and Genealogy Reading Room is part of the world's largest library including 50,000 genealogies, 100,000 local histories, and collections of manuscripts, microfilms, maps, newspapers, photographs, and published material, strong in North American, British Isles, and German sources.
- National Archives I, Washington DC, census, pre-WWI military service & pensions, passenger lists, naturalizations, passports, federal bounty land, homesteads, bankruptcy, ethnic sources, prisons, and federal employees.
- National Archives II, College Park MD, Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Education, Energy, Health & Human Services, Housing & Urban Development, Interior, Justice, Labor, State, Transportation, Treasury after 1900.
- DC Vital Records Division for birth and death records. DC Superior Court for marriage and divorce records.
- Maryland State Archives, census, court, church, vital, military, probate, land, tax, immigration, naturalizations.
- Library of Virginia, digital sources, databases, vital, military, newspapers, periodicals, tax, history, land records.