Difference between revisions of "Dalton le Dale, Durham Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Added to Parish History)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]  
  
<br> [[Image:Dalton-le-Dale St Andrew Durham.jpg|thumb|center|Dalton-le-Dale St Andrew Durham.jpg]]  
+
<br> [[Image:Dalton-le-Dale St Andrew Durham.jpg|thumb|center]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
 
DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a '''parish''', in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50913#s10 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' ](1848), pp. 4-8.</ref><br>  
 
DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a '''parish''', in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50913#s10 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' ](1848), pp. 4-8.</ref><br>  
 
<br>
 
  
 
DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton; and containing 2709 inhabitants, of whom 88 are in the township of Dalton. The parish is situated on the road from Sunderland to Stockton-upon-Tees, and bounded on the east by the German Ocean. The surface is undulated, but the scenery, though enlivened with about 100 acres of plantations, is in other respects bleak and of harsh character; the soil of the arable land is fertile, and the system of agriculture improved. Coal is abundant in the vicinity, and a new mine has been opened at Murton, by the South Hetton Company, at an immense expense; limestone of good quality is quarried, and burnt into lime for manure. The village lies in a deep narrow valley, within 2 miles of the sea, and the inhabitants are employed in agriculture and in the mines and quarries. Two railways for conveying coal from the adjacent collieries to Seaham harbour pass through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who have augmented the income to £300. The great tithes of the township of Dalton have been commuted for £70, and the small for £35; there is a vicarial glebe of 26 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a Norman doorway now built up. The vicaragehouse was erected in 1841, and is a neat edifice, situated on rising ground, a little to the west of the turnpikeroad.  
 
DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton; and containing 2709 inhabitants, of whom 88 are in the township of Dalton. The parish is situated on the road from Sunderland to Stockton-upon-Tees, and bounded on the east by the German Ocean. The surface is undulated, but the scenery, though enlivened with about 100 acres of plantations, is in other respects bleak and of harsh character; the soil of the arable land is fertile, and the system of agriculture improved. Coal is abundant in the vicinity, and a new mine has been opened at Murton, by the South Hetton Company, at an immense expense; limestone of good quality is quarried, and burnt into lime for manure. The village lies in a deep narrow valley, within 2 miles of the sea, and the inhabitants are employed in agriculture and in the mines and quarries. Two railways for conveying coal from the adjacent collieries to Seaham harbour pass through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who have augmented the income to £300. The great tithes of the township of Dalton have been commuted for £70, and the small for £35; there is a vicarial glebe of 26 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a Norman doorway now built up. The vicaragehouse was erected in 1841, and is a neat edifice, situated on rising ground, a little to the west of the turnpikeroad.  
Line 54: Line 52:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Reference
+
== Reference ==
  
{{Reflist}}
+
{{Reflist}}  
  
 
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
 
[[Category:Durham]]
 
[[Category:Durham]]

Revision as of 03:38, 2 February 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Durham Gotoarrow.png Durham Parishes


Dalton-le-Dale St Andrew Durham.jpg

Parish History

DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton.[1]

DALTON-LE-DALE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 11 miles (E. by N.) from Durham, and 7 (S.) from Sunderland; comprising the townships of Dalton, Dawdon, Cold-Hesleton, and East Murton; and containing 2709 inhabitants, of whom 88 are in the township of Dalton. The parish is situated on the road from Sunderland to Stockton-upon-Tees, and bounded on the east by the German Ocean. The surface is undulated, but the scenery, though enlivened with about 100 acres of plantations, is in other respects bleak and of harsh character; the soil of the arable land is fertile, and the system of agriculture improved. Coal is abundant in the vicinity, and a new mine has been opened at Murton, by the South Hetton Company, at an immense expense; limestone of good quality is quarried, and burnt into lime for manure. The village lies in a deep narrow valley, within 2 miles of the sea, and the inhabitants are employed in agriculture and in the mines and quarries. Two railways for conveying coal from the adjacent collieries to Seaham harbour pass through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who have augmented the income to £300. The great tithes of the township of Dalton have been commuted for £70, and the small for £35; there is a vicarial glebe of 26 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a Norman doorway now built up. The vicaragehouse was erected in 1841, and is a neat edifice, situated on rising ground, a little to the west of the turnpikeroad.

From: 'Dalton - Darfield', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 4-8. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50913 Date accessed: 21 March 2011.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

The Parish Registers for the period 1646-1967 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL EP/DD).

Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/70 Date: 1763-1867  Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at FamilySearch Historical Records. Pending engineering correction the transcripts can be located under the mispelling "Calton le Dale".

The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.

FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations (FamilySearch Historical Records)

Non Conformist Churches

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Poor Law Unions

Easington Poor Law Union,Durham

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Durham Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 4-8.

Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.