Crow Indian Agency (Montana)
United States American Indians Montana Indians of Montana Crow Indian Agency (Montana) The Crow Indian Agency is the administrative office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs on the Crow Reservation in south-central Montana.
The Crow Agency was established in 1869 for the Mountain Crow Indians of Montana. The River Crows gradually also came under this agency.
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include:
- Annuity payrolls, 1892-1915
- Vouchers and schedules documenting payments to individual Indians, 1916- 60
- Allotment registers, 1907-22
- Heirship project worksheets, 1940-41
- Copies of Indian wills, 1911-39
- Records pertaining to heirship cases, 1900-41
- Closed estate case files, 1958-89
- Tract books, 1884-1907, with index, ca. 1907
- Census rolls and enumerations, 1886-1953
- Family registers, 1902-17
- Registers of births and deaths, 1890-1921
- School censuses, 1906-43
- Monthly school attendance reports, 1929-32
- Student case files, 1929-48.
Many more records of lesser genealogical value are also in this collection.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Crow Agency, 1881-1900, are on rolls 8-9 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617681-1617682).
Microfilm copies of “Narrative and Statistical Reports” for the Crow Agency, 1907-1938, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 30-31, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm numbers 1724248-1724249.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1891-1895, 1897-1908, and from 1912 thru 1940. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 79 thru 86. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 575771-575778). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online