Crawford County, Kansas Genealogy
Crawford County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Crawford County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 13, 1867|
|Address|| Crawford County Courthouse|
P.O. Box 289
Girard, Kansas 66743-0249
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Crawford County Courthouse
PO Box 249;
Girard, KS 66743-0249
County Clerk has birth and death records 1886-1911
and burial records 1860’s-1976.
Clerk District Court has marriage, divorce, probate, court and naturalization records.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1869 military records. 
- 1867--Crawford County was created 13 February 1867 from Bourbon and Cherokee Counties. County seat: Girard 
- Barton County, Missouri
- Jasper County, Missouri
- Vernon County, Missouri
The Crawford County Genealogical Society offer several CD's for sale. One of those is Tombstone Transcriptions of All Known Cemeteries in Crawford County, Kansas 1867-1976. The price of this CD is $12 for members of the Genealogical Society and $22 for non-members. Membership is $13 per year.
Some Crawford County burials can be found online at http://skyways.lib.ks.ur/genweb/crawfor/cemetery.html or http://www.interment.net/us/ks/crawford.htm.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Crawford County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Map of Crawford County townships (Histopolis)
- For information about Civil War records see Bourbon County.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin, Missouri newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news that included residents from Crawford County communities.
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Crawford and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
Societies and Libraries
- The Crawford County Genealogical Society can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com or at 308 N. Walnut, Pittsburg, KS 66762.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Crawford County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crawford County, Kansas page 249 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).